Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rationale of restrictions regarding outdoor exercise.

Options
  • 03-10-2021 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

The importance of social distancing was emphasised right from the commencement of lockdowns throughout the world in March of last year. Obviously, it took some time for the manufacturers of masks and other PPE to catch-up with the public's demand for those products as well as demand from healthcare facilities.

During the first lockdowns, why did some governments (i.e. the UK, Spain and several governments in Latin America) decide that banning, or at least limiting duration of, outdoor exercise was justified, given that social distancing in itself provided protection against possible infection with coronavirus outdoors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO mostly because it was impossible to enforce other restrictions with exercise as an exemption. If you were stopped whilst driving half way across the country to visit a friend's house you'd have just been able to say you were going for a walk.

There was concern about pre-symptomatic droplet-based transmission in close contact sports and in crowded areas (there still is, I think).

I also remember people getting a hard time for the theoretical risk of needing medical care in the event of accident or injury, due to the impact on overstretched emergency services.

Advertisement