Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1 bus fare in Cork, Limerick, Athlone, Navan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Thank you Zell12 for this, I completed 2 bus journeys in Cork for 1€.

I was unable to activate a new ticket because the first did not expire and the driver told me, that with this ticket it's permitted to change bus as long as it's done within 90 minutes from the activation.

1€, a great bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Hopefully unlimited journeys in 90 minutes will come back soon

The NTA expects to introduce the 90-minute fare later 2021, through Leap cards, there would be no further charge for additional journeys within 90 min

Let us know if you can activate more than one set of 10 trips for €10

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"I was unable to activate a new ticket because the first did not expire and the driver told me, that with this ticket it's permitted to change bus as long as it's done within 90 minutes from the activation."

You got lucky there as the bus driver was actually mistaken. The T&C's of the ticket specifically say it is only valid for one journey, within 90 minutes of activating the ticket.

Easy mistake to make, I made the same mistake when I first saw this news.

BTW How does this work with the driver? Does the bus driver scan the ticket on your phone? Or copy down some code off the ticket on your phone?

Drivers have different approaches in my experience, some are just looking and waving you through, some ask to see the spinning part of the ticket to ensure it's still valid, others require you to scroll down to check that it's showing the current date is not just some sort of screen shot. Had not a single driver asking questions about it, all seem to know about it.

As to the 90-minute thing, I pointed this out twice to drivers just to avoid being accused of not having the right fare. On both occasion the driver told me to board because 'it's still spinning'.

Once I see an inspector, I ask them because how should I otherwise transfer?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"As to the 90-minute thing, well I am using this frequently and not a single driver did complain about the ticket being activate for sometimes 40 minutes already and giving how it's not possible (at least on my device) to activate another ticket before the old expires in effect there would be no way to comply if journey is defined as a single bus."

Yes that seems wrong, either the T&C's are wrong and the ticket should allow for transfers in 90 minutes or their is a problem with the app and you should be able to buy a second ticket.

Perhaps you could email the question to the email address that is in the app under support. They should be able to answer the question and it might help make them aware of an issue with the app.

"Once I see an inspector, I ask them because how should I otherwise transfer?"

Ha, I haven't seen an inspector in years!

• Advertisement

I was able to purchase another 10 trips for 10€ after my first set of 10 was used.

I am now able to activate a second ticket of my 10 set even with another ticket already being active. So, I can have 2 active tickets now to facilitate transferring onto another bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Thanks for letting us know!

The ticket is valid for 90 minutes, once the thing is spinning, you can get on a bus. The driver has no way of knowing if you've just come off another bus... Even the paper single tickets are valid for 90 minutes (in Limerick anyway)

Anyone else having issues with this app? Once I bought a single ticket and it never appeared, and another time I bought a ticket, activated it successfully but when you tap on active tickets to display it it came up blank. One prick of a driver wouldn't let me on, but the next one had no issue with what was obviously a technical issue on their part.

Most of the drivers now require you to touch the spinning wheel which stops it and turns it green.

It than does not go back to spinning so I guess that is the way to validate that you used it?

Advertisement