Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my cousin spoiled?

Options
  • 03-10-2021 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I stayed with my 17yr old cousin a month ago and everything went well besides my aunt and uncle quarrelling a bit. My aunt thinks he's a bit spoiled but my uncle doesn't.

Basically, he has autism and some sensory issues. He's very clean (almost to the point of being obsessive about it). When he cleans however, he has to switch on water to boil or boil water in the kettle. He can never wash with cold water as it feels uncomfortable for him but he also says that hot water cleans the dishes better/cleans the bathroom better.

Before showering, he always has to turn on his Dyson fan as he feels very cold stepping out of the bathroom after a shower. Again, in the shower he uses nearly boiling hot water.

My aunt thinks that even with his autistic issues, he's a bit spoiled as he's running up all these hot water costs. She says that when he's living alone, he'll soon learn how expensive these things are. My uncle on the other hand doesn't see an issue with it and says that at least he's much more responsible when it comes to cleaning the house compared to boys his age.

Who's in the right here?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The costs of hot water are going to be a small percentage of the total costs of raising a 17 year old. Leave the chap be. If it makes him feel better then that is great

That doesn't sound remotely spoiled, he's working on being more comfortable while his senses are overloaded. In scheme of things, doesn't seem like a remotely big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Hot water does clean better though.

I also don't understand why this bothers you.

Don't insert yourself into other people's dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Is your aunt this miserable all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Autism benefit scam sure, everyone has autism now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

OP, Personal Issues is an advice forum where people come asking for advice on issues that are affecting them. As this is not a personal issue that is affecting you directly I will lock the thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

OP, this sounds like an issue for your aunt and your uncle to resolve. No one here can advise you on how they can resolve their disagreement.

In the circumstances I'm going to close the thread there.

Thanks.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement