Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy tarrif agreed and set now scraped

Options
  • 03-10-2021 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

In March I moved energy providers to Bord Gais as they were offering a very good deal. I agreed a 12 month set tarrif and signed up.

With the media coverage on increased prices on electricity and gas, I thought I was ok as I signed up to a 12 month deal in March. Turns out this is not the case. When I emailed Bord Gais to be sure, I was told that the contract I agreed to was a variable rate and I will be subject to price increases too.

When I asked if my contract with Bord Gais is now null and void as my rate has changed, I was told that I am still in a 12 month contract and there would be a charge of €50 if I was to move providers.

I wasn't aware that I had agreed to a variable rate. As far as I was aware, I had agreed a rate that would be for 12 months. I've never had this issue with other energy providers when there was a price increase.

I'm very disappointed and would like to know if anyone else is in the same position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Check back over your documents, if there is no mention of fixed rates then the responsibility lies with you.

If you find something about fixed rates screenshot it and send it back to the company and have an argument and if you don't get any joy, make contact with the energy regulator to escalate it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Most of the new customer deals are percentage discounts, not fixed rates. You will still have discount of the higher price. The rates in any documentation would have been the rates at the time and I'm sure the T&Cs will say it's a variable rate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Terms & Conditions allow for increases in rates, you really should have read the small print

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mandy12

Many thanks for all your feedback. And you are right, I should have read the small print. Lesson learned. At least I know I'm still receiving a discount. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Only variable rates are discounted. So if you have a discount off a rate, it is a variable rate and can go up and down with the market. It went down in April last year and no-one seems to have had an issue then 😁

Fixed rates are available for up to 2 years, but you will have a physical rate that does not have a discount.

My business has a fixed rate of 0.1626 from last December for 2 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement