Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good reason

• 03-10-2021 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all.ive just received a call today in relation to a licence to a new shotgun I'm acquiring.i filled up the paperwork and handed it in the other day.the Firearms officer asked me today that I write a letter describing in detail why I need this firearm.i had already described on a separate sheet as asked on the application.he also asked me that I get written permission from a landowner.i told him I didn't need this as it's not a first time application but his answer"I'm telling you that I want it". All this before it even gets near the superintendent.i have 2 shotguns already but have reasonable reasons for acquiring this one.i have surpassed the expectations for the storage of Firearms but that "I may need further security " if this licence is to be granted. As I said,this is all before it gets to the super.Where do I go from here.i would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You need to submit land permissions for all/every application. As each application is judged on its own merits its like the previous ones "don't exist". Obviously they do, but you get the notion so he is right that the application needs land permission letters.

As for the good reason(s). Only you can answer that one. If you have two other shotguns then he wants to know why you need a third. Not want, but need because that is the way the firearms act works. You must show good reason and in his mind you have two others so why wouldn't they suffice. Not my words, but I guarantee it'll be his thinking.

To that end you show why this shotgun is the only one that can be used for the purpose you applied for it (outside of the purpose/usefulness of the other two).

Lastly, its the FO's job to vet and prepare applications. The Super won't inspect every application for all the necessary details and relies heavily on the FO to make all the I's are dotted and T's crossed so all the Super has to do is decide whether to grant it or not.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

Thanks Cass. It's just by his talk today,I haven't a hope of getting it.this new super is not fond of giving licences according to others whom have applied.im just jumping the gun but I suppose I will repost when I hear the result of my application instead of getting ahead of myself

If you don't mind me asking why do you want this, other than you want it. Has it something the others don't, is it a different model (function better, for targets only, hutning only, O/U instead of S/S, etc)?

Any of the reasons you have might be enough to get it and I wouldn't not apply for fear of not getting it. The other question you need to consider, as it may come up, is are you prepafred to "surrender"/sell one of the others to get this?

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

I dont mind what you ask cass.I have clay target gun.i have an old double barrel that I'm just keeping to pass to my young lad.im looking at getting a semi auto for vermin shooting.i suppose that he will ask why I can't use the ones I have.it will be the 5th gun that I have and this is the first time I've experienced negativity from an "FO"

Then there is your good reason. I'm guessing the old gun was probably passed down to you as you intend to pass it down to your young lad? If so then what you have is a clay gun, a family hierloom that requires licensing, and are now looking for a hunting shotgun. To that end write a short note, don't mind the "detailed" talk (detailed doesn't mean long), explaining your situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement