Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's you box of screws not tell us all your personal details (Rant alert)

• 04-10-2021 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

OK so needed a few bits of hardware, ScrewFix were open so I went there, at the till all the customers are asked for their name, address, contact details.,,,, the guy gets my stuff then asks me "Sorry I've had my details leaked two often" he prints my receipt and I leave.

What the f1ck is going on why are they collecting name, address, eir code, phone email..... to buy a box of screws. And people give it them. I've had my details leaked at least 3 time. What are screw fix doing with the data and when else do they record, gender, aprox age,,,,,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

I remember hearing tales of a high end motorcycle shop customers' details being swiped and used as a handy shopping list for criminals to steal fancy bikes to order....

Since then - not that they are worth near as much - but I wont give my address even why buying a microwave or tv or whatever - I mean - why would you?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

how long till we get the news all data held by screwfix has been leaked, it might make sense if you were buying a pc or a laptop, eg and you want to use the 2 year gaurantee on the item.basic security rule no 1, companys should not be collecting data on customers unless its really necessary in an time where theres data breachs every single week ,why would they need your email unless its to send you spam or else sell your email adress to ad networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Screwfix are working under a legal fiction of being business to business vendors and hence don't need planning permission to open what are retail stores. They aren't meant to sell to "consumers"

They have a retail arm that won't make you create an account to maintain this fiction - B&Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

As far as I know Halfords staff are under a lot of pressure to collect email addresses from I think at least 60% of customers.

If they fall below that, they get 'reeducated'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Good 10-12 years ago i had chat with rep in Three store while purchasing top up SIM and being asked for details: "TBH, i dont care if your name is Joe Blobs, i just need to fill in the form"

Its a while since, in these circumstances, i am becoming Santa Clause from 22 uptown hill road, my number 0834567890 and send your junk to nonofyourbusiness@mail.bs or whatever.

• Advertisement

In case, for whatever reason, you would need to maintain/monitor communication with retailer, in relation to your purchase, hotmail allow 15 alias addresses, gmail up to 30. They free - use them, dispose them once warranty term is out.

IF you buy a 500 euro tv,laptop, phone you want to be able to use a warranty, they will ask you for your name and adress ,in case you come back to get the item repaired .why would you give your data to buy a few screws or a 5 euro item

100% agree, in regard of expensive, warranty covered item. Still, i think, your receipt is prove of purchace, not your address or other personal detail. Those will become needed IF you claim warranty service, for communication, not before hand.

Email for bottle of milk is pure marketing crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Erm.. no idea maybe because you can buy 1000 euro drill.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Its used for recalls - so if that drill or whatever is discovered to be catching fire they can contact you. Especially important for kitchen appliances that are left plugged in.

I might give them an email address but thats about it.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

my point is if you buy an expensive item, eg ,bike, drill, tv, pc that has a 2 year warranty fff off asking for info on a 3 euro bag of screws .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

The email address is almost completely used for marketing, spamming with 'special offers' and selling off the contact lists to 'partner companies'.

The number of time the email addresses would be used for recalls would be very few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

With screwfix you have to have an account to buy anything, kind of like a trade place.

Maybe it is excessive but I find it handy tbh, anytime I want stuff I can order online and its ready when I get there, I've never got any spam from them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

No you don't need an account to buy anything in their stores - the last time I was in one (in October) I wasn't asked if I had an account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I know I was required to have an account when I went to purchase something a few months ago, maybe they've changed policy, maybe it varies by store, I thought that was the way they operated across the board, doesn't bother me personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

Screwfix have constant sales, the normal price for drills etc. is not real and they constantly have models on sale.

They want your details for marketing emails, for lock in, such as a business account and it makes it hard to buy elsewhere you don't have business account. Lots of real world business are trying to gather this information to move towards an online world. Many screwfix items are not stocked, so often the stores are "parcel motel" type free delivery outlets for things in main warehouse. Things like bookies are doing this, have a real store then push people to bet on the app, long term many of these businesses will go online only, next day delivery, once the bricks and mortar stores get quiet.

They hope your one real world visit will turn into 100 online orders. I do find it distasteful, and throw away emails or good email filtering can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've had my details leaked by yahoo, paddy power linkedin, fastway. I don't line business that collect data they don't need. I've seen them asking customers, giving the impression they needed it to finish the sale. I just say no, give me a paper receipt.

Fast way was an eye opener, they had a database on an open "cloud" server that was found by a security researcher. He informed them so they reported him to the Guards. He posted about it on reddit. Turns out they never set a password on the database. So when you give your details to Smyths for shipping they pass it onto Fastway who give it away!

Advertisement