Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out what’s going on ‘down there’

Options
  • 04-10-2021 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi ladies! Just wondering if there’s anyone in a similar situation who can give advice.

Have had irregular periods for about 3yrs now. Everything from not coming at all, to coming and not stopping. Became quite concerned about fertility at the start of this year and began tracking as my partner and I are TTC. September period came, and didn’t stop. After almost a full month I contacted my doctor and was written off work and referred straight to hospital for an ultrasound.

Go to hospital get bloods done by a lovely nurse (who was very concerned) and then met the doctor. He seemed to write everything off as me having a bad period. Told me I looked comfortable and there was nothing they could do for me.

Gave me a prescription to stop the bleeding and told me he’d get my doctor to refer me to a gynaecologist. When I mentioned the fact that I was literally referred for an ultrasound he said they only do them in certain situations. Then paused looked at my chart and decided I did need one after all. Am now waiting on a call for the ultra, which will more than likely cut into another day of work.

The whole interaction was exactly why I waited so long to do anything. I felt like I wouldn’t be listened to or believed. I know my body and I know there’s something not right.

Im just curious if other women in a similar situation found the process of finding out what’s going on difficult. Did you feel as though you weren’t taking seriously?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I haven't had this situation OP, but I have had babies and dealt with medical staff as a result, and the one thing I will say is - speak up. Don't feel stupid, speak up, don't let them write you off. There can be many reasons that they are dismissive - understaffing, not listening properly, concerned with something else - but none of them are a reason for you to just accept being waved away. You know your body best - and believe me if I have learned anything since I have had kids, I have learned this - so keep saying it. My experience has been that while the medical staff are very good, there can be serious communications problems between sections - even just between doctors and nurses - and on occasion they can be dismissive. Whether it's because they are never questioned, or because they assume most people don't understand and will just take their word for it, I don't know, but it is hard to take. So keep speaking up, I'd have told that doctor a "bad period" doesn't last for a month, there must be something else going on (and it's his job to figure it out....)

I don't know if you went to a maternity hospital or not, but I would certainly follow this up with a gynaecologist and chase it if the appointment doesn't come through.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I would advise going to a fertility clinic or a clinic who has a gynaecologist who will have more experience in fertility etc. If your cycles are all over the place and then lasting a month, it needs to be investigated properly. You will need to get your bloods done to check hormone levels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

I'm not TCC but have a lot of gynaecologolgy issues.

For years, I was considered dramatic or having a low pain threshold and was fobbed off my many doctors. In the end, I went to my GP, cried and told her I wasn't leaving until I got a referral to gynaecologist.

My medical records show it was 13 years from when I first raised my concerns with a GP to when I got real help.

Most women I know have had a similar experience. Fight for a GYN referral or go to the well woman clinic. Far too often, GPs dismiss a lot of women's issues.

Advertisement