Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the heck this slaintecare ?

• 04-10-2021 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Old man from cavan not real sure what this is. Are we going back to the olden days again! I just knew the hse as a single body would not control the health service. Everything is geared for people in Dublin. If you don't live in Dublin, tough.

The country people have to drive miles to get cancer treatment. Not to mention loads of appointments at 8 am in the morning.

Well I hope we have a centre of excellence close by.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭micosoft

"Well I hope we have a centre of excellence close by" is an Oxymoran. Centres of excellence only work when you have enough throughput. This is why the best doctors only want to work in Cities with high volumes of patients. So no, you won't have a centre of excellence close by, you will have Our Lady of Lourdes.

There are tradeoffs living in the country. One of them is longer journeys to centres of excellence in the one global city Ireland has where 1/3 of the population live. In most other (larger countries) it's not unusual for people with long term illnesses to move to the city - I know two people from the states that upped and moved to another city to be closed to treatment.

Completely unrealistic expectations in this country tbh and this is why Slaintecare is going off the rails. We need less localism and more professionalism in running the health service of a small country with a small population. COVID showed how quickly a centralised service could move. The setting up of more boards and regionalisation is a disgrace and the ex leaders and board of Slaintecare would be better served focused on delivering better care for the population than moving deckchairs around and listening to "patient advocates" who advocate for certain "popular" illnesses at the cost of overall outcomes and local TD's who refuse any change. The old health boards didn't work and frankly I'm angry that this is the first thing these folk decided to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the old days, you went to the local hospital for cancer treatment, and died quickly.

We still have far too many hospitals. Most of the regional A&Es should be replaced by further investment in the air ambulance, for instance.

Advertisement