Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice or tips for planning a programme?

Options
  • 04-10-2021 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya Folks.

Generally this isn't a question I'd have thought I'd found myself asking but the body is giving out on me and I'm hoping that some experienced folk here can give a steer.

My fitness is at a low ebb, have a neuropathy issue and activity worsens it significantly. I've been getting on top of much of it recently thanks to nerve ablation and blocks.

That said tho, I am coming back to training off the back of nearly 2.5yrs of not just inactivity, but very restricted activity.

I do have some equipment and a little bit of space. A decent rowing machine, a multi-position bench, set of dumbbells, set of resistance bands and a couple of kettle bells.

Running and indeed anything with similar impact is out for me, so I'm thinking that the rower will be where my cardio gets sorted. Other than that though, I'm wondering what options I have for a resistance programme? I am struggling without a plan, I find that after the inactivity I'm really struggling to both self plan and motivate(partly because without a plan, I keep deciding I'm done).

My ideal plan would mix dumbbells/weights/resistance and bodyweight and run 30-40minutes 3/4 times a week.

Any input on a plan, whether BodBot, freelethics or similar might fit my need? Or where I can get a good free option would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Cill94

Pick one that excites you and stick to it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

Running or anything else with impact is out for you, yet in the next paragraph you say you want to run 30-40 mins 3/4 times a week?

With regard to the training, might be worth working with a coach or PT for a couple of months to get going. It's hard for random people online who have no idea about your capabilities and limitations to prescribe a plan for you. There's plenty of coaches out there that will do an assessment and provide you with a 6-8 week plan. It'll have a cost but generally for beginners it's well worth it.

Thanks,

On the "run" it should read "run **with that for** 30-40 minutes a week"

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Lots of water, lots of sleep, don't eat crap food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The neuropathy and (presumably related) inactivity Is what jumps out at me here. You can get some decent cookie cutter programs and advice online, but if a lot of stuff is contraindicated for you then … pay / trade / persuade someone in real life to help you with this, it’s your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,258 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

All good advice, but in no ay answer the question in the OP.

This is the answer.

A return after a layoff is not the problem. The medical issue is. That takes it from generic fitness advice about which program, to needed a specific program around your issues. I'm sure you could pay for a standalone consultation and go it solo at home if you were interested in ongoing PT.

Thanks to all for the input, particularly around the PT suggestions.

Neuropathy is an issue alright, and managing a way to work around that particularly for cardio will be rough but, I'm hoping the rowing machine can do that for me.

As an example of the impact on movement, I had a cardiac stress test a couple of weeks and managed only 9.5 minutes before I had to stop. Not because of hitting a limit or exhaustion. But because pain and concurrent nausea had hit a level I couldn't push through.

My current ability is probably going to limit me to primarily resistance and the Dumb bell programme suggested will allow me a degree of fitness restoration and retention.

I'll give my restrictions and needs a chat with a PT.

Thanks again folks.

Advertisement