Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis inverter settings

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If you set a charge time and then also tell it to charge at 0 amps it won't discharge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Great, thanks. Can you elaborate on how that works? Electrical stuff like this isn't my forte.

Wait, charge at 0 or discharge at 0?

I don't remember where the setting is, but for example I don't want to discharge on night rate in the shoulder months.

I set a charge time of 00:00-09:00 and a charge rate of 0 amps.

Don't need to touch discharge times

Thats great, thanks. I'll give it a blast.

• Advertisement

Set it like this but I can still see it discharging during those hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Recently purchased a house with some solar panels, a Plyontech battery and a Solis Inverter. I have also since got a Zappi installed for the car and a Harvi. There is a Solar iboost + beside the hot water tank.

I signed up for Solis Cloud but I can't add the data logger to the app for some reason. The Solar installers want to charge for €400 to come out and sort it which seems absolutely nuts to me.

Now, I'm already seeing solar generation etc on the MyEnergi app since the Zappi was installed. Do I need Solis cloud working in this scenario?

The other question I have is around the battery and night-time charging. I have Night Boost smart plan so I have cheap electricity between 2 and 4 am. I have the Zappi set to charge between those times, but would like to top up the battery during those hours as well. How do I go about this? Can I charge both Zappi and battery at the same time, and if so how do I prevent Zappi from draining the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I just got the new dongle, did I recall reading somewhere that you can change battery discharge settings on the app now with it, rather than having to do it at the inverter? Or did I imagine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

You can as long as you got the option activated by Solis C/S. Open a ticket here if it's not activated. euservice@solisinverters.com.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

• Advertisement

Alright, so I tried setting the discharge to 0 amps and charge to default and that seems to have worked. Got up this morning with 100% battery after running the washing machine/dishwasher/immersion during the cheap rate.

Is this for the V3 WiFi dongle? Any idea if HomeAssistant is picking this up from the API?

Yeah, that's for the gen 3 dongle. I think you need the gen 2 dongle to work with home assistant the gen 3 won't work AFAIK but others here using them could clarify that.

You can use HA with V3 but it relies on connecting to your Solis account rather than by MQTT which would be preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

I am having some issues changing the battery control parameters setting on my Solis inverter. I can change the settings (charge rate, discharge rate, absorption etc.) but when I save and exit the parameters revert to there original values. I am using pylon_lv battery settings. Anyone have any experience of this issue?

That is being set from the bms. If you want to change it, you need to go to user defined.

Ah OK, that makes sense. Would I be able to change it from the BMS software? I have access to it, but I don't see values that correspond, absorption is in the inverter settings and I can't change it, but don't see it in BMS software.

Are you using a pylontech battery or something else?

Not pylontech, just a battery that uses it's protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

Generally solis takes the total overvoltage protection parameter from the BMS as the absorption parameter in the inverter. Some of the protocols on the solis add 0.5V to the value received from the BMS.

• Advertisement

Thanks, under control parameters in the solis I see absorption is the same as over voltage protection and changes when I change it on the BMS. So it's not actually absorption then? I'm getting an odd over voltage alarm on the BMS so changing this will presumably not help.

Also, I got the latest firmware from Solis and it now has an absorption value under user defined battery, which I can edit on the inverter.

No it’s not absorption, Solis uses it as the charge voltage without absorbing. The BMS is likely hitting the cell over voltage protection. Set the total over voltage protection to 55.2V(i have mine set to 55.5V after some tweaking) and turn off the total over voltage protection function switch - the inverter will charge to that voltage without triggering the BMS. You still should have the cell protection set to 3.65v with the cell protection function switch on.

If I remember correctly I think the user-define parameters get ignored if you have the CAN cable plugged in.

the seplos (pylon protocol) CAN Comms only sends the following voltage parameters to the inverter:

total over voltage protection/charge voltage, total under voltage prot and total battery voltage.

i don’t think it even uses the under voltage parameter.

Post edited by Clf on

Thanks for the comprehensive response. You mean set the overvoltage to 55.2v on the inverter and disable the overall pack voltage on the BMS? Or both on the BMS. Not sure my BMS allows me to switch off functions.

I seem to be getting some joy slow charging the battery near capacity and then letting it rest, got to 55.8v today without triggering anything. Up from about 55v a few days ago.

Set overvoltage on inverter to 58.4, set overvoltage protection to 55.5 in BMS, turn off total overvoltage protection in BMS.

This tells the inverter to charge to 55.5 and it doesnt trigger any protection on the BMS. It will sometimes spike above 55.5 by 2-300mv but it’s gets close enough

Don't think my software allows me to turn off any parameters on the BMS, at least not where I can see.

I saw one of your earlier comments to set the inverter over voltage to 0.1v below the over voltage value that inverter gets from the BMS. Presume that will work also?

That works but not as good as turning off the OVP. Do you have a seplos BMS?

No, but I think it is identical. I'll mess about with the software, see if I can turn it off.

On the 0.1v solution, does the inverter use the BMS battery voltage or its own? The solis is offset by +0.5v. I think if I set the over voltage on bms to 56.4 and on inverter 56.3, with 0.5v offset that should work. I believe I'm getting north of 95% capacity as is.

Do you have a screenshot of the software, someone might recognise it.

the inverter uses the BMS voltage, at high current the inverter reads the battery voltage upto 1.5V higher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So...

The discussion re Solis charging speed. Starts at 100a but drops after 15 minutes and won't go above 60a?

I just ran a test. Set it to 90a for an hour. For the first 25m it ran at 87-88a, so out of curiosity I changed to 100a. It right away dropped to 79a and stayed there for the remaining 35m. In that hour I added 22% which is about 4.5kWh.

I've just set it to charge again for another 1hr 30m at 90a to see how it performs and already it has jumped back to 87a despite only being off charge for about 30s.

I'm curious why I'm not seeing the same lack of performance that others have reported. In a full hour it never dropped under 79a and I suspect that if I leave it at 90a it will stick at 87a all the way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Update before I go to sleep...

Now been charging again for 25 minutes, and it dropped to 78a again.

I'll check in the morning to see if there are any further reductions. 1hr of charging left.

Advertisement