Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis inverter settings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

For a longer life it's best to keep it low enough so just open the door or use a fan if it gets too high. That 105c is on the app so it's straight from Solis but I wouldn't let it go past around 65/70 before cooling it to prolong the inverters life.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I am using this fan placed on top of the inverter which was recommnded by another poster.

I have it automated using a Sonoff S26 in Home Assistant to turn on when the temperature hits 28 degrees and turn off at 24 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Is there a recommended way to get the Grid load signal back to the inverter wirelessly? My main distribution board doesn't seem my EV charger as it's connected at the meter, I didn't think this would be such an issue but the Andersen A2 has really poor software and struggles to avoid drawing power from the grid even when set to full solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

Hi,

My solis hybrid has started setting the time back 1 hour from current time, and is doing so regularly so even if I set the time, shortly afterwards it is off by one hour again. I found a few similar bits on the internet but no solution. Any one else seeing this. ( It messed up my charging windows for the EV rate last 2 nights )

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

• Advertisement

There are a few replies on a recent FB post, seems it's affected quite a few people this week. Seems to have rectified itself. I've changed my HomeAssistant automation which syncs the time on the inverter to run hourly for now and have a cron job on the pi which checks if the time is out of sync and alerts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

I notice my system didn't rectify it's self last night .

Do I have to e-mail euservice@solisinverters.com to activate the App Control ? I don't have HomeAssistant or anything like that.

Mine bounced around a bit last night so I disabled my time sync to try and monitor whats happening & when. If you want to control via the app you need to email that address and request.

I will monitor the time today to see if / when it changes and open a ticket with Solis

connecting...
    Local Time = 10:08:48 UTC Time = 09:08:48
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 8, 46]
    Local Time = 10:13:48 UTC Time = 09:13:48
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 13, 47]
    Local Time = 10:18:49 UTC Time = 09:18:49
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 18, 49]
    Local Time = 10:23:51 UTC Time = 09:23:51
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 23, 54]
    Local Time = 10:28:56 UTC Time = 09:28:56
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 28, 57]
    Local Time = 10:33:59 UTC Time = 09:33:59
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 34, 2]

so far it's behaving.

Did I really say that :-) Somewhere between 10:34 & 10:49 it decided to set itself back an hour. I dont really care which time is on the inverter ( local or UTC ) as long as it doesnt keep changing.

Local Time = 10:49:21 UTC Time = 09:49:21
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 9, 49, 20]
    Local Time = 10:54:23 UTC Time = 09:54:23
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 9, 54, 22]
    Local Time = 10:59:25 UTC Time = 09:59:25
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 9, 59, 23]
    Local Time = 11:04:26 UTC Time = 10:04:26
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 4, 26]
    Local Time = 11:09:29 UTC Time = 10:09:29
    Inverter Time = [24, 5, 23, 10, 9, 30]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

Solis is at it again. The inverter clock is back to GMT.

This screws up charging / discharging / Smart tariffs etc.

Anyone else with this problem?

My hybrid inverter is a Model RHI 3K 48ES 5G

Me too,

@raspberrypi:~ $ python checkTime.py  
    connecting...
    Local Time = 10:13:09 UTC Time = 09:13:09
    Inverter Time =  [24, 6, 1, 10, 13, 9]

Local Time = 10:43:10 UTC Time = 09:43:10
    Inverter Time =  [24, 6, 1, 10, 43, 10]

Local Time = 11:13:11 UTC Time = 10:13:11
    Inverter Time =  [24, 6, 1, 10, 13, 10]

Local Time = 11:43:13 UTC Time = 10:43:13
    Inverter Time =  [24, 6, 1, 10, 43, 12]

Going to open a ticket with Solis, same model RHI-3K-48ES-5G

Put a time block on the inverter accessing the Internet from 10pm to 7am and ran an automation in ha to set the inverter time at 10.30. This worked around the issue

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Noticed same this morning. Inverter time in UTC. Are you using a DLS-W data logger?

Have amended battery charge period to UTC for moment as a workaround and disabled local time sync from HA and raised a ticket with Solis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Trying to configure the Solis app for the first time and stuck on installed capacity.

Tells me the field can't exceed 100.

Anyone know where I get the correct figure for this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's in kW, so the number your looking for is likely 5-8

Solis have escalated to cloud team as there are a number of similar tickets. My guess is one of their time systems is setting the time to UTC for the combination of inverter / Stick and the rest are picking up timezone correctly. We shall see what they come back with.

Yeah My dads one is messing about too. Just havent got around to doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Murt2

Do you need a 'special' Wifi stick for the control feature to work? I've been on to Solis to enable the feature, I'm getting a "sending failed" every time I try to update a setting.

I dont think so, once it is connected to the app and Solis enable you to write settings it should work. Did you open a ticket with Solis ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Murt2

I did, but the person I'm having correspondence with can't really speak English and I think is telling me the problem is on my end. I've checked everything on my network, I can't see anything wrong. All I can think of is the wifi stick is read only, but then again it does allow Solis to perform firmware updates, so who knows…..

Just seen that this wasnt answered, yes you can take the modbus RS485 meter signal and re route it through a loRa wireless transceivers, or TCP modbus, I think someone here has done the TCP route.

But dont you already have a battery and working properly. are you looking to move the grid load measurement to the same place as the anderson has grid reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alan McG

Hi all. I had my firmware updated on my Solis 3.6kW inverter a couple of months ago remotely by the Solis techs. Since then I've noticed that the inverter's max output has increased from 3.6kW to just under 4.1kW. now, while I think this is great as I have an oversized 4.75kWp array which now produces about 3kWh more a good day, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

This seems quite unusual for a company to uprate a piece of equipment like this, as any reduction in lifespan could potentially leave them open to claims. But I'm guessing they they noticed they the units were performing so well in the field with such few failures that they could increase their capability without affecting acceptable longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Inverters will generate a bit more than they are rated for and the weather lately has been perfect for that with it being cool and sunny so I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I've recently noticed this on an inverter I keep an eye on.

It's a 5kW inverter, and up until 2023 it never passed 5kW, on 5.6kWp of panels

In 2023 I got an update for it to fix a voltage issue I was having. Ive now logged it passing 5kW on more than one occasion.

These inverters are firmware limited to certain levels. Same hardware inside, well within reason.

That's also why if you have a hybrid with a battery you can see much more than your rated output as the power isn't leaving to the house/grid. The rating is usually how much can leave the inverter not what it can actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alan McG

Yeah, agreed. It's just pleasantly surprising that a company would effectively give you something for nothing for a change! The increase works out at just under 14%, which will be a fair few quid in my pocket over the next few years.

I have to say that I've been really pleased/impressed with the Solis inverter which seems bulletproof and the & support which has been responsive and efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've a recent installation in which the depth of discharge on the inverter is still set to the default 80% but my battery has a DOD of 90%, am I better off updating the inverter to match?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No reason not to. Basically a cheat code to unlock an extra 10% battery capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I set mine to discharge to 12%, force charge at 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers lads. A follow up question on this, the battery specs will tell you the usable usage amount, i.e. with the depth of discharge amount factored in.

Does the discharge amount you then set on the inverter apply that percentage to the overall battery capacity or the usable amount as specified by the battery manufacturer?

Advertisement