Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yes that's the Ali store I bought mine from also. Went with the 150A version as my system will be doing 100a discharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭munsterfan2

Hi,

Quick question, for connecting the BMS cables to the battery terminals is it easiest / best to use crimped cable lugs ? Screws are M8, what thickness are the wires. ? Would these be suitable, "RS PRO Insulated Ring Terminal, M8 Stud Size, 1.5mm² to 2.5mm² Wire Size, Blue" ?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

• Registered Users Posts: 47 optip

I purchased from there.

Arrived no problem in a couple of weeks - with approx €5 customs charge.

I haven't hooked mine up yet (still waiting for cells) and one concern I do have about 'Minerals Store' is what the support will be like if I need help or firmware updates, etc. Some people have gotten support from Seplos - I'm not sure if that's tied to buying direct from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭puntypower

I'll be getting the 200a pack. 3.2v 200AH Lifepo4 Rechargeable 16Pcs 12v 24v 36v 48v Battery Pack Lithium Iron Phosphate Solar Cell 12V 24V 48V Solar System

Would the 200a BMS be sufficient or go up a size?

• Advertisement

Size your BMS depending on your inverter charge/discharge rate. 200Amp BMS means that it can charge at 200Amps. I have yet to see inverter that can do that. Majority now can charge at 100Amps so 150Amp BMS is more than enough. Check your inverter manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Puitl

I bought mine directly from Seplos, Support was great.

I had a few technical questions and I was invited in a Whatsapp-Group with the technicians - I was able to clarify all there.

When charging (discharging) to the value of "Total high (low) voltage alarm" the Seplos is setting the SOC to 100% (0%).

With charging/discharging to this voltages you can "reset" the SOC when your packs are connected parallel.

Second option is to set the actual SOC in the parameters and upload the new settings to the BMS....i don´t know exactly how this parameter was called exactly (can check it in the evening).

Hi,

How/where did you request the Solis firmware update. I am on 270014 and dont have option of AoBo battery.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

Send an e-mail to euservice@solisinverters.com stating your inverter is online and quoting the serial number and requesting it be updated to the latesst firmware.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if those with Solis inverters manager to get over the teething problems with the seplos and their inverter. Or are there still issues and warnings on it? Mine are due in couple weeks so hoping all is good 😃

I'm still having issues, requested an updated firmware from solis, ticket created on site a few days ago but no action since. I did come across this article https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/support/solutions/articles/44002136179-solis-hybrid-inverter-battery-name-fail-batnamefail which suggests it's also an error that occurs when stacked packs are not wired correctly. Not sure how that would be the case with 1 BMS.

Can they do OTA updates on RHI-3K-48ES or do I need to go looking for firmware update stick ?

Hi, I emailed that address and a ticket got auto-created. No action on ticket, aside form me, still unassigned. Anyone any other suggestions, contacts - did anyone call the number on the site. Worried I will be stuck with battery not working

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

That's how I've received 2 updates, I haven't had to do anything else. Hope it gets resolved over the next few days

Called the number on their site and got talking to a support engineer, she was really helpful and had my firmware updated in a few hours. Running now at 5amps, to charge / discharge to get the BMS cailbrated

Thanks for all the help everyone

Nice one, delighted you got it sorted and updated 👍

Bump it up to more than 5Amps. It will calibrate at 5Amps but will take a while. Seplos recommends calibrate at 0.5C which for 200Ah battery is 100Amps. You do not need to go that high but do at least 1kW which is ~20Amps.

Hi,

Quick question, getting the same issue as E30M3 in that the BMS starts discharging, drops to 10% SOC then starts charging and jumps fairly quickly to 100% SOC.

To manually charge to 100% do I set to a different battery type on the inverter ( Currently AOBO ) ? and charge to fail, then change discharge time and discharge to fail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Looks like your cells are not balanced and/or you need to change the Seplos Overvoltage protection settings. Can you manually set remaining capacity to 180, let it start charging and then take a screenshot. Most likely one of your cells is hitting the monomer overvoltage protection.

Show us your protection settings! What cells do you have?

I will write something about the Seplos later. I´ve tested it now and have written a lot with a technician from Seplos:

The hardware and the functions are good and working for a really good price, but the software is bad.

Seplos is doing wrong thinks with the parameters and what they are doing with the CVL respectively how they interpret it is simply wrong...

• Advertisement

I would be interested to know where you think the software is doing wrong things as I disagree with that. I think their documentation is poor and it is not immediately clear what each setting is for but once you get it, you can get the BMS to do what you want. It's not perfect - and there is some unevenness around inverter support - there is a weird problem with my Growatt BMS for example.

There are four relevant parameters in the software which can set:

-Monomer high voltage alarm & protection (cell)

-Total high voltage alarm & protection (battery)

At "monomer high voltage alarm" the BMS sends a CCL of 10A - no control after that if that could be enough. If it is still to much the cell goes up to 3,65V (= monomer high voltage protection) and BMS cuts out - thats not a drama but also not the fine-way ;)

At "total high voltage alarm" the BMS sends a CCL of 0A and is setting the SOC to 100% - so charging ends up here without gradual current reduction!

At "total high voltage protection" the BMS cuts out - BUT: They are sending THIS VALUE also as CVL to the Inverter!

So the goal for the inverter (=CVL) is the same value at which the BMS cuts out - but anyway it will never reach it because at "THV-alarm" he gets the signal CCL = 0A! That doesn´t make sense to me.

This regulation is really bad when you have a Victron-System because Victron can NOT react to the CCL when charging from the MPPTs/Solar (CCL has only a effect when charging from the grid with the Multiplus or when grid feed-in is disabled)! So whats happening at Victron:

When a single cell-voltage is getting too high the BMS can only act when it reaches the protection-value (3,65) - cut out!

Because CCL is "disabled" the inverter charges up to CVL (= protection-value!) and would then go down with the current step by step - he would but its not possible because - cut out! 😃

So what´s left for me: A stupid BMS with a better SOC-calibration (compared to a BMS without communication and no installed BMV), a Display where i can see the cell voltages and a software with the function to record data in liftime...

I hope this whole thing applies only to me and my BMS, otherwise i cannot understand why I´m the only one who´s criticizing this 😄

(REC for example is doing it perfect - but it´s so expensive :/ )

Hi,

Have batteries hooked up to a bench charger to top balance. It did appear to be on cell which was shooting up. Will take a few days to balance and reconnect. Hopefully I will get to it at the weekend (bloody work getting in the way) and update then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Do you have them in parallel or in series on the bench power supply?

They should be in parallel, and charging at 3.65V A cell shouldnt be shooting up in that configuration.

They were in series on the VMS / inverter which was whenthe cell was shooting up, Now in parallell on bench charger, Currently charging to 3.5, will then charge to 3.65. Doing in blocks of 8

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes it looks like it doesn't play well with your Victron. I have an issue with my Growatt too. When it gets to 100% the BMS/inverter refuse to discharge the battery and stay stuck until I change the SOC using the software which allows the discharge to start.

I'm surprised that at "total high voltage alarm" the BMS sends a CCL of 0A and sets the SOC to 100%. I thought it was doing the same as at "monomer high voltage alarm". It would make sense to send a CCL of 10A at that point and only set to 100% when it hits total high voltage protection.

Out of curiosity how were you able to determine what was being sent out by the inverter? Do you sniff the CAN packets?

What´s little bit strange: Seplos told me that thay are setting SOC to 0/100% with "total low/high voltage alarm" and i could watch it the first time i was testing it. When i do it now the SOC goes to ~97-99% so it seems that there is also a other parameter which is influencing that...

About my "sniffing": The only parameters for the BMS for controlling a inverter is CCL & CVL (...at Victron actually only CVL). I would be suprised if other inverter would respond to more BMS-parameters...So what i did do find that out:

1) I was playing around with the parameters in the BMS Software a little bit and in the victron system i can see the CCL- & CVL-values the system gets from the BMS at the same time.

2) In the victron-system i can manually set down the "max. charge voltage" (=CVL) in 0,1V steps (only lower than the value from BMS is possible). So i was setting this lower than the first BMS alarm-threshold and then i turned it up step by step with an eye on the cell- and total-voltage, the BMS-Alarms/Warnings (live in the Software), the CCL/CVL-values the BMS was sending to the Inverter and the charge-current from the inverter.

After that i chatted with Seplos about all that because i could not understand why the BMS was acting like this...what should i say...i´m a little bit sad and confused. They write really good in english and i was explaining it clearly but it seems like they don´t really know how to charge Li-cells. It seems like "hay we have a good hardware for good price but no good software-engineer which know´s how to charge Li-cells correctly...ok then let us stop the charge when the battery is mostly full" 😅

I also made 2 offers until now but there seems now interest to improve the software...I think they still don't understand what they're doing wrong..

I wrote with REC, they are doing it perfect (also in combination with victron) and i think Batrium will do it also perfect, but a haven´t time until now to reed all the manuals^^

I agree that there is room for improvement on software side, especially at low and high end. Everytime BMS hits both sides it recalculates SOC and that throws things off. Instead off setting CCL to 10A when threshold is hit, I'd prefer it to actually start lowering Amps gradually at certain voltage. This would ensure that the cells are kept in balance as they tend to start run away from each other at the bottom or the top. I am still playing with my settings but I think I have it close to where I want them to be. The next task is to read values from BMS so I can move some logic outside of it.

There is room yes^^....it is not really dangerous for the Pack because the BMS cuts off at least but in view of charging Li-cells correctly it is simply wrong what they are doing.

I have the solution for Seplos but there is no interest until now for improvements respectively to just do it right. Next week i will ask a last one, I´m curious if i will get an answer.

The SOC-calibrating to 0/100% is the smallest "problem" here and would be also solved with my solution.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭randombar

Any videos about on how to set up the seplos with the batteries we've all bought from Ali recently?

Advertisement