Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Took apart the usb dongle that came with Seplos, there are no screws. Here is what I've found. It does work but what was the point of this? And this thing was $20? I will stick with the dongle that I've got early from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭championc

Well you need the dongle to configure it - and something that they don't make clear - selling it as an "optional extra" !!!

When I bought them, I certainly didn't want to take a chance on using some Chinese dongle, and struggling for pinouts details.

Yes, it's a hefty extra cost for what it is. Maybe someone at some stage will confirm that Amazon ones work fine ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've got one on the way from AMZ to hook up to mine, I'll let ye know how it goes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I had this from my experiments with pylons and it works perfectly fine with Seplos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

So only running 2 days all looking good but I have to go away for a few days so would the advice be to set BMS into Sleep mode? I can see the Overdischarge SOC is holding when near the bottom but I wouldn’t be confident to leave it running as not correctly calibrated but it’s not far wrong. it would prob only get stuck on high voltage alarm but I think I’m wise to stick into sleep mode? What is interval charge capacity? No 80 at 96% is it the max charge capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭championc

If you were there, what would you be doing with it ? I certainly cannot see a reason to power it off. You could maybe just overnight charge to 80% rather than 100%.

Overall, I wouldn't have thought you should have needed to tinker around too much with the default settings.

Thanks championc I have not fully charged the batteries since setup at the weekend - they were fully charged initially - still fighting for a night meter just concerned if sun broke through while away - I’ll leave it be so

Battery reached 100% today I was away but saw Solis warning

OV-Vbatt-H which is

Battery Hardware Overcurrent -Check if the battery is correctly connected or the battery contactor is disconnected, restart the battery, restart the inverter.

It happened a few times then when it started discharging warning went away and all is fine

I got the missus to take a pic of Battery Monitor which had an “intermittent power supply waiting” warning.

I’ll restart all when I return but any thoughts?

Only a 9mV difference between min and max voltage I’d say it was hogging the 100% charge for a while but I don’t think this is the real 100% at 3.34V

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes I have seen this too. Note that the charging switch is not on (below the dial). This means if the inverter tries to sense the voltage by trying to charge the battery momentarily it fails. My solution was to not let the battery get to 100%. This is annoying but I haven't found a better solution yet. I have been in touch with Seplos engineers and they suggested a bit of CAN sniffing to see what messages are being exchanged. Maybe if a few of us complain to Seplos about this they will do something about it.

• Advertisement

Thanks @garo thats not great - I didn’t notice the standby status - any setting to stop it getting to 100% - fine for now I can dump some into car but during the summer that will be a big issue - automation needed I’m afraid - must be happening to a lot of users

I had this also. I think 100% Soc is real or pretty close to it. As you can see in inverter the battery has reached overvaltage limit. This message came from BMS and that means that it has reach the top voltage that was is set in BMS. 3.34V is settled voltage. It only reaches 3.65V or whaterver you have set while charging, once charging is cut, the voltage drops and then settles. To get really close to 3.65V you would need to start charging at low amps when it is at ~95% of SoC and Seplos does not do that it only drops Amps when warning threshold is reached. The 9mV diference is also a settled one. It would have been higher when it was charging. One more thing is that at top SOC and while in stanbdy BMS does balance cells when idling and if the differnce between cells was more than 30mv.

Thanks @reklamos I was away a few days and the battery hasn’t hit 100% again. That’s all good knowledge thank you very much. So if it is normal behaviour for the BMS any way of stopping the inverter cutting out or just wait for voltage to drop and inverter will always error a few times until charging stops?

The 'intermittent power supply error waiting' error is the one that I am strugling with at the moment as charge/discharge cuts out alltogether and I also noticed that inverter also stops generating from solar while that error is present. I could only get rid of it rebooting seplos. I will keep researching.

yep that’s the one it eventually discharges and then error disappears but inverter cuts out a few times which is the part I don’t like.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

Few questions re Solis Inverter and SEPLOS BMS.

I am in the process of setting up and would be grateful for a steer from anyone with more knowledge that me (which is almost everybody!!)

1. I have top balanced my 16 200ah cells in 2 groups of 8 (took about a fortnight with a 5ah charger, but I'm not in a hurry), currently cells are within 16 mv from lowest to highest. Is that an acceptable range or is it possible/necessary to do better? On that if anyone in the Wexford area needs a loan of a DC Charger for the same purpose just PM me.
    2. I think the current advice is to specify Battery Type of AoBo on the inverter and Sofar on the BMS? Correct
    3. When selecting AoBo on the Inverter are there other variables that need to be changed from their default values on the Inverter?
    4. When selecting Sofar on the BMS I changed Battery Rated Capacity from 150 to 200, are these changes in line with the necessary changes and are there other parameters that folk have changed?
    5. Re 0.5c charging and discharging current I don't see values on the parameters to achieve this for calibration but I may well have missed them.
    6. All other tips/issues gratefully accepted.

Something I can add is that if you position the BMS above the batteries and fairly central (I have the batteries in an old blanket box with the BMS on top on a plywood shelf) it is possible to utilise the wiring harnesses that come with the BMS without needing to extend it. Cables are around 72cms long.

1. Sounds correct to me. Should be between 3.55v to 3.65v when you finished charging.
    2. Worked for a few here. I didn’t try other batteries as it also worked.
    3. No it will ask you to fill in Overdischg SOC I think I set to 20%, ForceCharge SOC I think I set to 15%.
    4. No mine once it ran a full charge discharge was fine apart from the error I mention above it seems to work great.
    5. At 0.5c I couldn’t find a way either. No other tips be careful with the BMS so close to battery terminals but I like the clothes blanket idea.

1. 16mV is fine
    2. AoBo is the one that works. Make sure BMS CAN is set to Sofar
    3. Default works fine
    4. If your battries are 200Ah then this is correct
    5. You can do this with timed charged/discharge. In there you can set charge/discharge Amps.
    6. We are all still learning, keep folling this thread and also post your findings.

Just wanted to check if I have the same S/W Version and Part number as other folk. Getting a 'BatName-Fail' message as soon as I connect with AoBo on the inverter and the BMS Set as above?

Software Ver on the inverter is 33001F.

I will move on to try other combos but wanted to check the obvious first. Thank you

340022 and read back here @reklamos is on 35 so prob not that

have you selected Sofar in the top right hand corner

• Advertisement

Tks for checking back there Geeyfds53573

, yes Sofar set on the BMS. I have whatsapp'd SEPLOS there also and asked for an OTA update freom Solis on the inverter to see where that gets me.

AoBo and Sofar should work. Try to change the battery in inverter to Pylon after saving setting you should see the alarm disapear for couple seconds and reappear again. Then change it back again to AoBo. Maybe inverter did not change the profile properly. I think HMI version 34 should be ok but your DSP version is 1F which is low. I have tried with 22 and 25 both work but 25 has some other issues. I see that @Geeyfds53573 also has 22 so maybe this is the cause if switching batteries does not work.

Tks so much for taking the time reklamos I'll keep rooting but i appreciate your time and info.

So I have had the “intermittent power supply waiting” warning at 100% SOC a few times now (Solis Hybrid) - If I discharge straight away then all is fine but if I’m away the Inverter falls over after a while which I don’t like - so I’ll contact Seplos now but wondering are there any suggestions as to a potential workaround anyone can think of?

@reklamos had you any luck with this one? Are Seplos helping in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

How do you discharge straight away? By getting the Sofar to force discharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Is there any way to stop the charge at 98/99% if it does it at 100% only? Or would it do it then also?

Basically turn on Zappi or Eddie (Solis Hybrid) I’m assuming Sofar works fine - what is meant to happen at 100%? I assume the “intermittent Power Supply Waiting” is the problem

Yea kinda what I was thinking but no easy way that I know of

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I don't have a DIY battery but have noticed odd behaviour occasionally with my Solis Hybrid. When SOC is 100% it sometimes takes a while (could be 4-5mins) before inverter starts taking power from the battery to match house loads. Haven't noticed that behaviour when SOC <100%.

Is this what ye are seeing with your Solis Hybrids + Seplos?

• Advertisement

for me at 100% Seplos reports “intermittent power supply waiting” and if left after a while the inverter reports a number of over voltage errors then shuts down - if discharged in time it’s fine but if 100% and still sun generation then it bombs out

Advertisement