Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomendations for good Multi-Tool

Options
  • 05-10-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Have an 20 meter whitethorn hedge to cut once a year. (3 meters high).

60 meters of beach hedging once or twice a year (1.5 meters high)

Decent sized area of overgrown brush that will probably need a blade attachment to cut at this stage.

About 1/3 acre of wildflower meadow to cut low once a year and gather up.

Lot of leaves too on site from a number of trees.

Lot of Kerbing and patio that I edge manually but would love to have attachment to do it.

I previously had a cheap 5in1 multitool and it broke my heart as well as my father in laws who is well used to repairing any sort of tool.

I'm looking for quality product this time that will be easy to use and last a lifetime if possible without giving me too much hassle!

Guessing I'm going to have pay a lot more than the €250 I paid for the broken piece of Chinese crap I got before?

Ideally I like to get one not too far from where I live outside Maynooth so that it's easy to go back to get issues fixed. (Father in law wont be around forever!, I'll have to start watching how he repairs them!)

Also want one that will likely have spare parts for years to come.

Thinking along the lines of these (Look similarly priced):

• Honda UMC425
    • Honda UMC435
    • Stihl KM131

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

Post edited by rodge123 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Stihl Combi is the best by a mile. I have the 131 plus hedgecutter, strimmer, polesaw & cultivator. The only problem is that Stihl operate here via a middle man company called Origo which means that the prices are higher than the UK.

Border & Northern dealers can be cheaper. I have heard good reports about the blower attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Mind me asking why they are better by a mile?

wondering would the 131 be overkill for how much I’ll be using it per year, would the 94R be more than fine while also been as reliable and a little lighter?

I have used Stihl professionally for many years & never had a problem. I have a blower here that's over 20 years old & still starts first pull. You can always get parts & the Combi attachments work on any age of machine. Yes the 94R would be fine. I have used one with all the attachments - it has plenty of power.

I have a 200T chainsaw that's also over 20 years old. A local tree surgeon offered me more than I originally bought it for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

does anyone know of any deals going on stihl mult-tools ? should i expect end of season offers ?

The only companies offering decent deals are in the UK which means duty & vat. Irish dealers have to buy via a middle man & not direct from Stihl but there can be quite big fluctuations between Irish dealers.

The advantage with Kombi is that you can buy the engine unit & add tools as you need them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement