Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal post not being delivered

Options
  • 06-10-2021 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Anyone any advice?

We live very rurally - middle of nowhere. However there are several families in the area with same surname but not related. We also don’t know these people.

If post is addressed to me or my husband, it’s delivered, no problem. However, anything addressed to our kids never arrives - school reports, book lists, bus pass, and most recently celebration cards containing money from relatives and friends. This has happened previously and I spoke directly to the postman whom is lovely and v v friendly, several times. I’ve also gone to the local post office to explain there. But unfortunately, post for the kids is still being delivered elsewhere and is never to be seen again. But it’s becoming a serious issue as the kids get older - they will get post that needs to be delivered - bank statements, revenue etc. Plus the added issue that there is a monetary loss of €100+ from several cards that were sent from various different relatives last week. Yes, I know, “shouldn’t be sending money through the post” but grandparents/elderly aunts want to send €20 in a card to mark an occasion. They don’t have revolut etc

The eircode is on all correspondence. And I’ve got around the school issue by asking them to address it to me. But this can’t work long term as the children become young adults etc

Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Is there a unique identifier in your address other than the eircode? i.e. does your house have a name that would allow the postman to easily identify your house at a glance? (he can't be expected to know the eircode off the top of his head)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭gipi

Has your house got a name? If it hasn't, one might help?

I've also seen plaques outside house gates showing the eircode, which at least helps posties and delivery folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

No, no house name. The eircode is obviously the same at the eircode on any post for me or my husband. The postman is local, young and very helpful to the community - particularly during Covid, going above and beyond so I really really dont want to get him in any sort of trouble. Of course, he can’t be expected to know the name of every resident in every house on his extensive route. I completely understand that. But it is really becoming an issue.

I suppose I could put a house name - neighbours might think it’s a bit notionsy though - small rural Ireland, iykwim. But good suggestion - might be the only solution at this stage. It’s very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We're in a very rural area and every house has a name. It's the only way to distinguish between families of the same name in a townland. The Eircode is nit designed for An Post's use so don't rely on that. That said, if you've talked to your postman about it he should now know your kids names and get the delivery right.

Thanks. I know an post don’t use eircode but can’t fathom why. And trying to explain that to my elderly grandmother who is relentlessly fretting about the card not being delivered….

I also agree that he should be aware considering I have now brought it to his attention 3 or 4 times. I’m actually embarrassed to bring it up again. So it would appear the house name thing is the way to go - currently ordering one which will hopefully solve the problem.

• Advertisement

Can we create a poll to allow boardsies to name your house??? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

I come from a very rural area where there are several families with the surname. These families also had children of similar names. We would always address the letter to the child and c/o to the parent's name. Usually Annie Bloggs C/o Mary Bloggs or Annie Bloggs (Johnnie Bloggs). This was well before eircode times and was usually quite successful.

I agree this will work - it’s what I’ve done with the schools.

But long term it’s not a solution as they get older - official documents addressed to a “young adult c/o parent” for banks, loans, college forms, jobs etc

I know most by email now thankfully but there are still some. Bus pass is a case in point.

@pjdarcy that would be entertaining I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Are you absolutely certain that the items are being delivered to other houses and not just going “missing”? Also, Im wondering if other people with same family names are having same problems in your area? Either way, if you’ve highlighted the problem locally and it’s still happening, you need to contact An Post directly and let them know, maybe start with your local sorting office. I know you’ve stated that the postman is friendly, helpful etc. but if he’s not doing his job…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If it is a mix up, do you ever receive post to your house intended for those other families? If not, as @LapsypaCork suggested they might be going missing rather than going to the wrong house(s).

No, I’d say definately delivered. Too many for it to be a case of “missing” post. And the fact that none of mine or my husbands post goes missing - it’s just anything addressed to the kids.

Lol - however I think I’m gonna go with “child1 & child2 woz ‘ere cottage”

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting point OP raises, I live quite Rural and have done so for 20 years. When I bought the house first, I was only there sporadically, I had alot of difficulties receiving post, eventually got the know the post man, absolute gent. All good for a few years, he retired and problems started again, post going to other houses etc.

Eventually spoke to local post master, explained what was happening, I wasn't alone and no issues over the past two years

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The other families with the same surname in the area - have you gone to them to ask if post has been accidently delivered to them? I grew up in a rural area with a few families of the same surname as me. The odd time post would arrive at our house for someone else and we just popped over to them with it. You say in your original post that you don't know these other people in the area with the same surname - I would suggest you try to get to know them, even on a "know them to see" basis.

Wouldn’t know who they are or where they live. Only know they do exist from local newsletters/club lotto/GAA and seeing the names. It’s also an amalgamation of 3 parishes in one over a vast area. I know the neighbours directly on our road and a few others from GAA club. While my husband’s family home would be in a neighbouring parish, we only bought our house 4yrs ago here so are relative blow-in’s you could say.

We’ve never received post for anyone except the family who were in the house prior to us which is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

The postman should be aware of your kids names given you have told him so really there is no excuses for him not delivering it - I know you said hes a nice guy but really this issue is down to him. Does your kids have the same first names as members of other families of the same surname in the area?

Its really lousy of the other families to keep birthday card/gifts and other important info. I assume they know where you live even if they dont know you personally so they could drop it round when they realise its not for them.

This is it. Especially birthdays last 2 years when there couldn’t be any visits etc. Someone got a mighty windfall with communion cards 3 years ago - 7 never arrived - not sure how much in total. That’s when I 1st highlighted the issue. This time it’s confirmation cards with over €150 gone. School reports in June, school correspondence in August. I’m sure there are other kids with same first names possibly even with same surnames - they aren’t the most unusual of names. Myself and my husband would have fairly unique and uncommon 1st names.

I know the postman is at fault really but I’ve said it so many times now I’d be embarrassed to bring it up again. And I’ve been to the post office twice highlighting the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its a really tough one - I think you have done all you can re the postman. We had issues with a postman putting our post in next doors letterbox - different names completely so no excuse other than laziness on his part. It stopped when a new postman started and no issues since.

I think the best thing to do would be to call to the other families houses and ask did they receive any post for your children recently. They may say no but at least this alerts them that you know there was post sent that you never received. It may make them think about keeping your post again - leave your phone number with them that they can contact you if they get post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

With all due respect I think you should try and find out who the other families are. That's important post which hasn't been delivered to your household. I wouldn't be happy if someone else was in receipt of and possibly looking at my son's school report. I stand corrected but isn't it an offence to open, tamper or destroy someone else's post?

Don't be embarrassed at bringing it up with the postman or the post office if he's not doing his job properly. Your children are at a financial loss because he might not be doing his job properly.

Suggestion - next time you know a relative is going to send a card - can you ask them to put a return to sender address on the back - if An Post are unable to deliver your children's post then it should bounce back to the sender.

Indeed - I do believe it is an offence to open someone else’s post. Which is why even if I could possibly find out where all the people I share a surname with live in the 3 parishes and call to each of their houses, I very much doubt they’ll ever admit to receiving it. As the post has never been handed back to an post - it’s been kept.

Prior to this recent event and because of previous experience, I had told family to always put c/o etc on any post for the kids. Unfortunately, they didn’t this time. They are mostly elderly and more than likely just forgot. What’s happened in past I can do nothing about, it’s going forward to find a solution for the future. I’ve ordered the house name thingy. And I’ll call to the post office - again.

If you think I’m content about others stealing - cos that’s what they are doing - my kids money from people who don’t have it to spare, you’re mistaken. And whilst I’m v proud of the school reports etc, they are for nobody’s eyes but me and my husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Have you made a formal complaint to An Post?

I think it is time to report it to your local Garda station, you wouldn't allow theft continue in any other business or family situation.

Also ask your relatives to stop sending money.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Reading all the recent comments and updates from OP, I’m seriously thinking it’s the postman, normally, post addressed to children mean just one thing, cards and money from nana and grandad. OP, you need to contact An Post directly, you can do this online and also contact your local sorting office and speak with management there also, their usually quite helpful as I’ve had a recent experience also with a postman and they were very helpful, unless of course, you want your generous relatives and your children to be out of pocket again. I’d also be asking your relatives not to be posting anymore money in cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Eircode is not a postcode. Anpost have their own system that works for them and have always stated that they do not need eircode, but they will reference it if necessary.

And as the issue is something that you know and understand, I can't see how you can blame an post.

The easiest solution is as others have stated is to put a name on your house as a unique identifier and tell everyone to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Someone is stealing your kids post

Nelson Mandela House (with a nod to Only Fools and Horses).

Seriously though, a house name is the only way forward. It's really common for houses to have names in rural Ireland and it will prevent the issue reoccurring if your postman/person changes.

@pjdarcy @LapsypaCork @Deeec @Sunny Dayz

I’ve appreciated all your helpful advice and suggestions - could I get your thoughts on the following suggestion my husband came up with:

send a card, addressed to our child from another post office. Possibly even send it via registered post. If it never arrives, we have a tracking number to see it’s been delivered. Have a note on inside of card saying we know they’ve been receiving post destined for someone else. Make them aware it’s an offence. And sign off by saying we hope in future they’ll do the decent thing and hand back any post not meant for them.

If it’s a case that something else is going on and it’s been thrown in the bin unopened, no harm done, they’ll never see the note. If they do open it, at least they now know that we know. If it does arrive at our house, particularly if it’s registered, the spotlight would have to shine on Mr Postman?

is this a bit extreme??? Not sure I’m comfortable with it.

• Advertisement

An Post do use Eircode for automatic sorting, they don’t necessarily use it for local mail delivery though as the postman/postwoman goes by the top line of the address.

Put a name on your house and the problem will be resolved.

Frankly I think An Post puts up with a lot of ludicrous lack of unique addresses. How exactly do people expect them to deliver to unknown people in vague town lands.

Something like (below) isn’t really an address at all. It’s a person in an area. It’s not referencing any property or physical location at all.

Mary Murphy,

Ballyconfusion,

Co Tipperary

Eircode tries to solve this problem by using unique identifiers, but it only solves it to some degree. The addresses are still bonkers in some areas.

Advertisement