Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making offer from abroad, completing in Ireland

Options
  • 06-10-2021 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all

I’m planning to move to Dublin from Sydney this coming January. 

I’d like to make an offer from Australia in Dec/Jan, so that I’m buying when the market is less overheated and we have a place to arrive to (would like to avoid renting as it seems so expensive). We’ve been told that starting the buying process whilst in Australia could also help secure a school place for our daughter.

Would anyone be able to offer any insight on:

1) What the usual time periods are for each step of the buying process (booking deposit/exchange/completion)?

2) If I make an offer in December from Australia, at what point would I be deemed a local buyer for the purposes of the purchase, if I then arrive in Ireland? (I’d like to be treated as a local Irish buyer (not a foreign buyer), so it would be very helpful to know at what step in the process I should ensure I arrive in Dublin).

Thanks for reading,

Melaina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Unless you're buying in cash you'll need to get an Irish mortgage and many won't lend on a foreign salary. If you're starting a new job here, most lenders wont lend until you have passed the probation period. That can be up to a year long in some jobs.

There is no difference between a local buyer and a foreign buyer. The only point that's helpful for you to be in Dublin for is a) viewing the house or if you're happy to bid based on an online viewing then b) to sign contracts. But contract signing can also be done online if necessary.

In terms of how long...it varies massively. Some sales take a year to close, some take 6 weeks. The property purchasing process in Ireland is not streamlined at all unfortunately.

As soon as you are sale agreed you will give a booking deposit of 5 or 6k. This is a token amount and is refundable if either party pulls out.

Then you get your survey and valuation done. The quickest that can usually happen in is about 1/2 weeks

Then you get your loan offer from the bank, again that takes about 1/2 weeks, but can take up to 4 or 5.

Then you sign the contracts and give them plus the remainder of your 10% deposit to the vendors solicitor. However it can easily take 2 or 3 months to actually receive the contracts in the first place.

Then you wait for the vendor to sign and return the contracts to you. This can be anywhere from a few days to 6+ months depending on whether the vendor is trying to buy a house themselves/various other complications.

I had seen that at the moment it's taking an average of 5 months to get from sale agreed to keys. Personally, I looked at houses for 6 months before I found one I wanted and went sale agreed. And then it took 3 months to close.

I probably wouldnt tell the estate agent that you're based in Australia tbh. It's not necessary information and could prejudice them against your bid as they may think it will complicate matters.

Edit: just reread your post. There is almost no way you'd have the house in Jan if you just start bidding in Dec. Bidding itself usually takes about 2/3 weeks to close if buying in Dublin. Also the whole country goes on a go-slow in December/Jan because of Christmas. Almost no houses are put up for sale in Dec in general and estate agents/solicitors will be taking holidays at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I think it would be very difficult to buy from overseas but it’s probably not impossible. I don’t think prices will be that different in December to now but there will be fewer properties available so less choice for you. You’ll need a solicitor to complete the sale. In fact, usually you would hire one by the time you’re making an offer. If you contact one now, they should be able to advise you on making the offer from overseas.

Post edited by houseyhouse on

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will find it difficult for people to take you seriously while you are still in Australia, especially if you are depending on a mortgage. Is there an option of having someone in Ireland as your agent?

Dublin is a big place and some area / properties are expensive. Check out www.daft.ie and www.myhome.ie to see what is available. The only category of housing that is considered to have an above-minimal vacancy level at the moment is the premium end of the student co-housing market.

Advertisement