Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepted greed from certain groups

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

I laughed my ass off at this. It’s like something out of Father Ted. Hilarious 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you are charging what the market will bear, you are charging what your labour is worth in that market, that isn’t price gouging.

If you don’t agree a price prior to the work being done, it should not come as a surprise to you that your estimate of what it should cost, and what it actually costs are not the same.

aye old ladies nowadays don’t have a clue how to do their own electrical work, which is a thing we really want elderly infirm people living alone to be messing with

Problem is you can try to get multiple quotes to compare, but you may not find more than one tradesperson willing to call out and even look at the job to price it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Most people dont know.

but everyone should have an understanding of the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Indeed they should, I mean what could go wrong with a loose electrical connection .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The basics means knowing what you can and cant fix. It means knowing enough to know that something is loose and what you can and cant do to fix it, and who to call.

Ignorance isnt a defense for stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 grassmoon

Doctors are super greedy. On well over 100k and still moaning about their salaries. Rejecting a 250k consultant contract. These people aren't living in the real world.

In November 20 there were over 700 unfilled consultants posts in Irish hospitals and currently there is hundreds of GP practices trying to hire GPs/tens of thousands of patients who can’t get GPs, I would say they know their value in the real world, wouldn’t you?

Taxpayers fork out massive amounts of money to train medical students though—often from well-off families—only to be told afterwards that the public contracts that put them amongst the best paid employees in the country just aren’t good enough. Perhaps we could move to a loans systems with debt relief for those who sign up with the public system.

• Advertisement

Taxpayers pay out massive amounts to train all students, not just medical ones.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Which doctors are on those salaries? Say a GP is running their own practice - they have to pay the other doctor(s), the nurse(s), administrative staff... I'm not imagining a massive amount left over. That's not even taking into account the mad hours they have to put in, and the difficulty of their job (plus constant training).

People who bitch about nurses, doctors and teachers haven't a clue - they're extremely ignorant, and come across as bitter, especially when they set up windup accounts devoted to bitching about them.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You were doing so well until you put teachers into the same bracket as doctors and nurses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Anyone who pays cash in hand deserves all the bad luck possible with the job.

Yea. I'll be looking for a vat receipt from my crack dealer anymore

I’ll be checking my coffee in the morning.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Paying with cash for goods or services isnt the same as the expression "cash in hand" where one is willfully getting a discount because the seller is not returning it for VAT or income tax.

I get it literally once a week where I quote for a component say perhaps 500 plus VAT and the customer then says is that the best for cash, meaning I'll give you the 500.. to which I politely reply no.

I don't have an opinion on it either way to be frank, I'd rather people paid their taxes bit I certainly don't wish anyone bad luck for something like that. Wishing bad luck on someone is a 2 headed snake

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nothing like being an idiot and showing it. Most older people struggle with financial transactions. This is especially true since the abolishing of cheque books for personnel accounts. While you may retain a cheque book on an account if you had one previously, it now virtually impossible to get a cheque book with a personal account that is newly opened.

Most trades people do not carry card readers because of transaction costs, it then leaves older customers in the impossible situation that they must pay cash often for quite large transactions. Most try to stay as independent as possible for as long as possible and not to burden there children with there struggles. Recently I got annoyed with a Brother in law that arrived at a car tip his father( nearly 80 years old) was involved in and did not really get involved.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They do but very few trainee doctors are actually Irish. The positions are effectively sold to foreign students as they make more money for the colleges. It has been like this for decades and nothing is done to change it. There should simply be a cap on the percentage of college position going to non residents of the country. The highest college positions are not available to our own residents is a disgrace.

Non EU students have to pay full fees. They aren’t eligible for free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Indeed.

This is the definition of cash in hand that I am referring to, (which is also the first hit when googling the phrase):

cash in hand, phrase

payment for goods and services in cash rather than by cheque or other means, typically as a way of avoiding the payment of tax on the amount earned.

"a cash-in-hand job"

The paying by cash is not the issue. It's using it as a method to dodge tax that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My experiences with having unknown tradesmen in your home is that if someone just cold called up to the front door asking you to do a job on your house without notice; it's definitely a big warning sign that they will be there to gouge money out of you while you are currently enjoying the comforts within your own home. This method is not the appropriate or legal way in how a tradesman officially deals with a customer.

People of all ages should be aware that illegal or cowboy tradesmen are a big potential danger to society when they lurk around housing estates that have big elderly populations living in them.

It's definitely a topic that should be talked about and reported on to the Gardai a lot more in future from people who do see it regularly happening here in this country.

Encouraging these methods of communication with vulnerable people, who are elderly or not, should give them more opportunities to become safer in their lives while they live in their own homes.

With the frequent lack of resources that you hear from the Gardai in the media; it's definitely no surprise to learn that they're housing estates all over the country are being negatively impacted by this crime on a day to day basis.

If Irish people here we're to report this crime more often to the guards; what type of message does that send to the government or Gardai at this point when this crime is still currently happening right now especially when we are still in a pandemic?

If you see unofficial tradesmen driving around in unbranded company vans, in a hi-ace van for example; people who encounter this situation should be on high alert in their own homes if this is going to give you a big amount of distress later on. It should be something to take note of when you live in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there is nothing ilegal about going door to door. im sure lots of good, honest trades do it. i wouldnt myself for the reasons you list but its not illegal.

this isnt really about greed or overcharging. what your talking about it blatant fraud, find someone vulnerable and talk them into some work that was needed and charge a crazy price and do either no jo or a terrible job.

this is a major problem in rural ireland as well. probably more so due to the distance between houses. at least in a housing estate you will see them going door to door and warn the vulnerable

not sure about unbranded vans. nothing wrong with that. most trades dont sign write their vans so scumbags dont know who they are and rob their tools.

in fact most these 'salesmen' i have seen calling are in sign written vans or jeeps. i think its hiding in plain sight kind of a plan.

Advertisement