Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick questions about fibre installation, Eir and KN Circet

Options
  • 06-10-2021 4:26pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I rang Eir last week and arranged to get an upgrade to 1GB fibre broadband, upgrading from "Stand alone fibre". This apparently necessitates some installation work. The engineer just left, and I thought it best to get some advice here. Or possible just opinions on the experience.

First, he said there's usually a box on the outside of the house, but we don't have one. He said that was very unusual, but I literally don't know another house around us that would have that box on the side of their house. So that complicates installation. He then imediately shifted into trying to dissuade us from the process, including asking us "How determined are you to actually get this?"

He unscrewed a few little white boxes at the front door, inside, which is where we hook the modem from our current internet up. Looks at the wirese and says that it's no good for what he needs to do.

He starts saying then he needs to find a pipe to put the wire up through, and says we have two options. Either dig a big hole into the driveway (which is tarmacadam, so will be a disaster of a job, but they'd send a guy out to scan and find the pipe to install it, buuuuut would damage the driveway in the process) or start digging up the floorboards and skirting boards in the hall near where the phone sockets are, to find a hole there too. And he's not personally allowed do anything in that regard, so if we want to find the entrance pipe inside, we will have to either personally tear up the floor, or get someone to do it for us.

I'm a little deflated about the experience tbh. I had been looking forward to getting the internet upgraded, and the entire vibe from him was that he wasn't sure it was massively possible without heavy damage, either to the drive way or the front hall. Is it really that big of a job to get a fibre line into the house? He made it sound like a hole in the driveway would be this ugly massive thing too. I'm a little stunned by the whole thing....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

How old is your house? There should be some point where the phone line enters your property.

In my case the technician just opened that box, pushed a reel of piping through till it stopped going, then went out to the street, opened up the eir metal plate on the foot path, tied the fibre to that and pulled it back through. Once he had that he needed to drill through from where i wanted the router to be , connected everything on the outside and that was it.

In your case it seems like there is a different set up. Possibly the cable is just buried in the ground without any ducting. Ive heard that happens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

My house was built in the mid-70s, when we replace with cobble lock the driveway we found that indoor phone wire was just thrown on the ground and the concrete driveway poured directly on top of it. I think that they were always meant to use conduit, but if now one is looking why bother.

Advertisement