Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with two 'combo' box receivers

• 06-10-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Advance apologies if this Q is in the wrong area...

First just a 'heads up' about my setup...

I'm using an Ariva 250 in kitchen and an Ariva 153 in sittingroom - each is fed from the dish/LNB by a separate cable that's at least 11+ years old [I'm not sure if cable age is relevant here or not?]

The 153 is the newer of the 2 boxes and, in truth, is the more finicky/'crap' of the two, to the extent that'd I'd be very hesitant about ever buying another Ariva - it constantly needs to be powered off and other lesser issues with the menu, back button, etc. etc. [I can just about live with these annoyances]

Recently a strange intermittent but fairly constant [yeah, I know, aren't the weird ones always intermittent] problem has raised it's head though;

...If I try to watch a satellite channel [i.e. NOT terrestrial RTE etc] on the 153 I HAVE to have the 250 working the same channel AND leave it on that channel while I'm watching the 153 - to be clear I mean if I want to watch say, BBCHD One, I HAVE to have that channel selected on the 250 first or else the 153 will just show the 'No Signal' floating dialogue box.

If the 250 isn't 'on' the same channel the 153 will stay at 'No Signal' until I select the channel on the 250, then the signal reaches the 153.

This doesn't happen and/or isn't affected if I want to watch terrestrial on the 153.

Far as I'm aware [because I haven't noticed it yet] it doesn't apply in the opposite direction i.e. the 153 has to be 'on' first to affect the 250.

[EDIT: the last sentence, above, is now not true! - NOW the 153 is working but the 250 is receiving no satellite channels!!🤬🤬]

[EDIT 2: I tried the system this morning - around midday, all was working properly. Just tried it now and the above has happened🤬 I give up!🙄

This is wrecking my head so any decent suggestions of help will be most welcome!

Thanks folks👍

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Yeah, I'd check the cables between dish & receivers. It might just be a connection needs remaking, or a cable could need replacing due to water damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In addition to checking the cable connections I would look at the LNB. Intermittent faulty outputs could be an internal LNB fault.

Any cracks on the LNB feedhorn cover that might allow moisture ingress?

LNBs are relatively cheap and would be my first port of call after the troubleshooting recommend above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gerkildare

Ok - thanks for the suggestions folks.

Before I go climbing up on the roof, how can I actually check the cable? I mean, other than checking the connections, how will I know if the cable itself is faulty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I've had to replace a faulty cable in the past, I swapped the cable to a known good output on the LNB and tested it with a known good receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

In the absence of visible damage, an example that would signal the need for replacement would be water coming out when you undo a connection.

Otherwise, I'd just swap out the cable to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 gerkildare

Thanks again folks - up on the roof it is so!

Advertisement