Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work dilemma.. two jobs..

Options
  • 06-10-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

So I know I'm lucky and shouldn't be complaining! but I'm leaving my job in the Childcare sector to go to the public sector next week. 

I'm really regretting and having second thoughts about leaving :( I'm torn, I love the Childcare but also waited 2 years on a panel for the PS job but starting out on Grade 3. what would you do?

my two children go to my creche and will stay there, but the creche have been so good! 

any help please my head is melted!! 😭😭  

On a side note I worked out the money and starting out the PS job is 20euro per week more but I'm paying double Childcare as I'm getting 50% discount with me working there at the moment.

thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Congrats on the opportunity.

If you enjoy working with kids, if thats something you very much enjoy - theres a chance you'll find the PS kinda dull.

The money asect of things - it doesn't sound like you'll be better off by moving to the PS in the short-term. 20 a week (after tax I assume) is a 1000 a year. Presumable the benefit of 50% discount on childcare is worth more at this moment in time?

Having said that, the PS offers opportunies (eventually) for promotion and training. In a couple of years you could be a 4 or a 5, and could upskill towards a different career in HR, Finance or whatever.

What would your job and pay look like in 5 years staying put vs moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

You are probably entering the PS at the bottom of the salary scale, so you have annual increments for the next few years. What will your net take home pay be if you stay in the creche in 5 years time?

After a few years in the PS you can apply for promotions or lateral moves.

Comparing both which one offers the better medium and long term work life balance, net take home pay and future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

Don't forget the pension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I know it's not the exact same as a creche but a friend was in a similar position working in a montessori. She stayed there in her montessori position for as long as the hours suited her and her family. It was very close to her home and to her children's primary school and she could work just mornings or one or two afternoons a week if she wanted. Her youngest child started secondary school in September so she has moved on to a new role with slightly more money and more future prospects in a primary school so still working with children. She has been upskilling all along to work with special needs kids.

If the hours and the discounted childcare suit you and your familly I'd strongly consider staying there for the time being. As far as I know you can defer your acceptance with the PS for a year.

Advertisement