Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding scale of earnings

• 07-10-2021 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi, If anyone could help with my query would be great.

Both my Wife and myself work full time. Me construction , herself healthcare.

We have two teenage kids and our house is almost paid off ( 1-2 years left ).

My earnings are approx 45k/year and my Wife is about 38k/year. We're fairly frugal with our earnings, non smokers, rarely drink and no other debt.

What I'm asking is could someone workout( roughly )if I went on x3 days per week, money lost in real terms as I'd obviously be paying less tax, maybe give my Wife my allowances etc.

The reason I ask is because there comes a point where between both of us where a good portion is lost to tax and I have to question is it really worth the extra % of work for this pay.

Hope I make sense.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭CPTM

There are a few salary calculators online that you could play around with. I mean obviously there are things like pension contributions, expenses (if you're self employed), healthcare tax back claims but if you're looking for a general idea, I like this one because it's the simplest.

There are others which get into more detail but I've found this to be fairly accurate at a basic level.

Advertisement