Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn dosing of Ewes and Ewe Lambs.

• 07-10-2021 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Had to bring a ewe to the Vet yday evening THAT had 'pinkeye' for an injection. He was saying that there are a lot of mature ewes and store lambs showing high worm burdens this Autumn compared to other years.

Some of my land gets very wet in Winter so I would usually start the ewes on a fluke dosing regime every 6-8 weeks from September on. The last few weeks rain hasn't been good for grazing conditions.For last few years I have used Flukivor and Ridafluke on the ewes. Will be letting the ram out on 0ctober 20th to aim for starting lambing on Paddy's Day.

Have a bunch of ewes lambs kept for Hoggetts next year, have only got worm doses yet this year.I always give anything I am dosing a mineral drench at the same time throughout the year.

Vet was saying it might be no harm to faecal test both the ewes and the lambs to see if they needed a combined Fluke and Worm dose next time around. Going dosing them in around a weeks time. Realistically it doesn't really suit me to get them faecal tested as where they are at moment I will be short on time by the time I get them gathered for dosing alone iykwim.

So was thinking Supaverm might be the best combined dose to give both the Ewes and the store lambs?

What if any combined doses have other people used that they find good and effective?

Majority of ewes are healthy looking at moment and have just put them into nice grass to flush them. Around 20% of the ewe lambs would have skittery looking ends but that might be from the watery grass as much as anything else.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I've had a good response from levafas diamond here in the past..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

The problem with combined doses is that often many of them will actively target mature fluke and rarely immature fluke, which is not what you want at this stage of the larvae cycle. You want to be dealing with immature fluke at this stage I'd say unless you've had it very wet for the past month or so.

Levafas whilst good is probably better for later in the season as it only targets adult fluke.

Cydectin would probably be a good choice as it contains Moxidectin & Triclabenzadole, treats lungworm, roundworm and fluke from 2 days of age. I've gone off using cydectin as my clear drench in lambs as their third drench, I just can't keep them from having soft dung when I use it, whereas Levafas stops them scouring no bother. Supaverm only kills fluke over 5 weeks of age.

If you want a bit of reading look up the Scops website and then you'll know for sure what you need against whatever your co-op stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Curafluke is good too..targets both mature and immature...very long withdrawal though..so would want to be careful with store lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Farmers are using ivermectin too much now, It'll be shortly as useless as the white doses. we see it here in the FECs that come here.

a sample here during the week only had 40% kill, next time it could be 20% kill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Have never found any of the Triclabenzadole products effective against any stage of fluke. Hugh resistance problems.

I haven’t used it in 10 years or more but reverted back last year as I hoped none of existing flock would have resistance. I had ewes showing signs of fluke not long after

can he easily spotted when running sheep with my dog in winter. They’ll either lie down in the middle of the field or split & head for a hedge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi Lads. Would it be normal for lambs to scour the day after getting Levafas diamond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

It definitely would. It is hard on them.

My vet recommended half rate to cattle a few years back.

Advertisement