Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Poland up to?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Maybe Poles are anti Russian, but whether PiS are anti Putin’s method of domestic government (corrupt authoritarianism) is open to question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Respectfully, but in what way would that kind of suicidal unilateral decision make any kind of logical, rational sense? To not only march into a warzone you have no stakes in - to achieve what exactly? - but also decouple yourself from the one military safety net that might give some protection when (not if) it all went pear-shaped.

Look I get it it's just spitballing, not trying to jump down your throat 🙂 I appreciate we're all a bit free-wheeling & mentally strung out from the enormity of what's going on on the other side of our continent ... but lads; there's a degree of video-game geopolitical fantasising going on here that's a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Honestly I don't expect them to and I am definitely not in favour of them doing it but letting Russia crush their neighbour slowly must be particularly difficult for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They don't need to exit NATO. Putin's greatest lie is that NATO is a threat to Russia. It's a self defence pact. Any Nato country can dive into Ukraine to help out, but that is offense and NATO countries are not obliged to help members that instigate offensive acition. They are on their own.

Putin's objections to NATO are not that they threaten him, but that they hinder him in his plans to attack non-NATO countries and re-draw the map according to his plans.

Ukraine is just the first in a line of dominoes and Europe is just going to sit back and watch them fall. He's just warned Sweden and Finland that they better not think of joining NATO, which to me suggests at least on of them is on his hit list. Every country that has any thoughts on wanting to not be Putin's next target should be jumping in to help Ukraine because he's not stopping there otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Economics101

I would imagine that events of the past week have opened many Polish eyes and reminded them of their own past experience. Putin's authoritarianism is orders of magnitude worse than anything in Poland.

As for Heraclius' statement: "I'm still wondering if they are tempted to send their army in themselves. Opt out of NATO tomorrow and cross the border". That's just nuts: it wold be suicidal for any Polish government, which is why they won't do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Yeah, I've gotten a thorough (and well deserved) pasting for typing that and tbh I regret typing it. I'm tired and frustrated watching a massive crime against humanity and just wish someone could stop it but I know that no one can outside of the Ukrainian army, the Russian people or the ghouls around Putin. Sorry @pixelburp and @Economics101 . I'm normally more level headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭liamtech

Its entirely understandable to be looking at this situation (which is horrid) and hoping that someone will intervene. TBH emotionally, there is little i wouldnt back at this stage. Our hearts are in the right place on this issue. but IMHO we shouldnt underestimate the response of the west (government, international sport, economic)

There is no going back. Russia is on its own (i no longer see Belarus as an independent actor, so i chose to refer to Russia alone - Defacto, that is the situation). And Poland is doing so much to help the Belarusian people - which is fantastic, i take my hat off to them

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Many people in Poland have their eyes wide open for a while.

for those that don’t;

- having state tv become a tool of PiS propaganda

-PiS using Pegasus spyware to spy on political opponent

-the state judiciary being used by PiS as a tool of oppression and control

if the above examples didn’t open their eyes , then I doubt the actions of Putin which PiS oppose (oppose politically if not ideologically) make a blind bit of difference

Advertisement