Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2022

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Ahh jaysus, 'ye missed a good one 😭 Another great day out - thoroughly enjoyed it - they really did strike it lucky with the weather today - a bit windy at higher elevations on the outward leg for sure, but nowhere near the forecasted strength earlier in the week (I think the Donegal Bay Spring Sportive of 2019 still holds the record for the windiest sportive I've ever ridden) - the wind helped keep the usual mist/fog at bay too. Rain was absolutely tipping it down as I left my house in Belfast this morning - I did wonder if I was wise going any further, but as I travelled southwards the roads dried and the clouds parted - I knew I'd be kicking myself if I saw positive reviews here on Boards afterwards (sound familiar? 😛) so luckily my FOMO and pig-headedness won out in the end. Made it around without any issues or mechanicals, which is always a bonus (seemed to be quite a few people getting punctures early on).

As ever, muchas gracias to the Reservoir Cogs, all the marshals and volunteers, Russburough House and the sponsors who help to make the event what it is. My only complaint is I'll have to wait 12 months for the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

First time doing the Dog and very impressed with the venue, route and big thanks for the excellent organisation. Its a tough one despite the relatively short length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Yes, was class. Brilliant organisation, marshaling, buckets of food and drinks. And the weather was cracking. If only they could flatten the route out, found it very tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

Great day, always well run.

Got away with the weather too, top class. Got around in 5 hrs too so I'm happy 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

There's also gravel grind west out of Westport on the 17th and 18th September

Drive from Dublin for the Lakelander is grand - think I left at 7 last year? By nothing do you mean accomodation? There is a hotel in Belcoo that does decent carvery and obviously Nevin's place but I presume they book out for the event. There's also a campsite not too far away. That whole area is great and undervisited if people wanted to make a weekend of it. I'm sure you'd get accommodation in Enniskillen, Leitrim or Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Same driving distance coming from the likes of Belfast to Belcoo for the Gravel Grinder (over 2 hrs).

Its worth the drive for this event . Leave early and take a power nap when you arrive , sure its a 10 am start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yeah I mean little in the way of accomodation nor food options nor rehydration establishments. We got a tiny cottage on Airbnb last year, about 3 or 4km out of black lion, found the takeaway (wouldn't be having nevin looking over his shoulder)and had beers at the cottage. If you're going to drive to Leitrim or Cavan might as well keep going to Dublin at that stage IMO

Now having checked Google maps, in does indeed look like it's doable from Dublin as a day trip, just over 2 hours - in my head last year it was over 3, though that could have been due to Friday night traffic - we definitely arrived up around 10pm after leaving 7ish. I wasn't driving, so maybe the driver had a light right foot 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It was lashing when I left Monaghan for the Dog, but bright blue skies in Wicklow. Got away with a few brief showers and some wind, but the weather was grand. Not done a lot on the bike so far this year due to a house renovation and move so should have really done the pup, but slogged on with a club mate for the full dog. Front mech broke at the last water stop, but that didn't slow me down (the climbs did that in spades!).Great marshalling and organsisation as usual, and the food was excellent. Even noticed some tan lines on my arms this morning. Orange weather warning my @rse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

The main problem with driving is not being able to have pints afterwards, particularly given you get a free craft beer at the finish, and coupled with the fact you're likely driving someone elsewho is able to have a few

But you're right, I know from experience its tough to get accommodation in that general area

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I hadn't an ounce more to give after doing the Dog, which was my first time doing that one. Even getting a photo on the podium was an effort. But I didn't stop on any of the hills so I am well pleased. This event never fails in any aspect of its planning, Routes, mapping, marshalls, food and the support of the club was excellent. It will be on my list again next year for sure.

Next weekend is Tour De Beara, its longer and more elevation so it will be interesting how the difficulty level will be.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

You’ll fly the Tour de Beara I reckon as long as weather is not too severe. I did the tough bits of The Dog a few weeks ago but in a different direction. Finished with The Wall and Cunard and man was it tough.

Did the TDB last year and doing it again next weekend. There’s nothing really as tough on it as that bit of The Dog.

Maybe a stupid question but what’s the difference between the Ring of Beara (which I did earlier in the year) and the Tour de Beara? The routes look the same and drink stations in the same place (eg Eyeries). Is it just a repeat or is there a different level of organisation or approach

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spudpicker2022

For the most part, they go in opposite directions while covering a lot of the same roads. The main difference is the ring of beara doesnt go up the Healy Pass. The TdB goes up it twice! TdB is a more challenging ride IMO. The TdB is 20km longer but has ~600m more elevation gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Will most people start TdB AT 7,30AM or before?

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

You have allocated times but not sure how much these are adhered to. Expect the weather forecast might be a factor on when people start. I started about 8.30 last year and people were leaving in dribs and drabs. No big groups which I was happy with due to COVID. I found it more enjoyable than the ROB in that regard as that tends to be very crowded for the first half.

Finished with The Wall and Cunard

There seem to be a few walls around Dublin/Wicklow mountains. I'm never sure where things are when people refer to them as their "colloquial name" - is there a map of the Kildar/Dublin/Wicklow area that has all the climbs marked with these names?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

You won't need a map for the hard climbs in Kildare!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There's only 2 'real' walls, as far as i know of -

There's plenty of other climbs of similar gradient or have really steep bits in them, e.g. kilmashogue, barnaculia, stepaside lane, top of Kippure, devils elbow etc. but aren't officially "walls"

Post edited by retalivity on

Thanks for posting those links.

I'd say go when you are ready. A few years ago, I waited for half an hour for the group start and it was a bit of a waste of time. With so many climbs, the big groups break up very quickly, and usually out the gate as you are straight into the Caha Pass.

Making my return this year after missing last year sick. Two of my group of four have already pulled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If anyone would like a FREE entry to this weekend's Tour de Beara then let me know. I've a 160K ticket that I won't be using. If 160k sounds too much you could also use it on the 120k route.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potters ground

I would take it and give something to charity on your behalf

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Grand job. I've just sent you a message there so just get back to me when you can. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Maybe the last one of 2022 but here's a nice route in East Cork:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Has anyone ever done the ridelondon sportive see registration is open for 2023 is it worth the trip over on the ferry and if so where is a good place to stay

Registration for the Majorca 312 in April opened today.

Anyone doing Velo Kenmare on October 22? I signed up for Beara after doing loads of work for it and pulled out at the last minute so might do this to capitalise on the training. It'll be a solo effort, though, as none of my usual group can make it.

I know most of the climbs on the route from spending summers down in that neck of the woods so should be nice as long as the weather plays ball. The inclusion of timed hills is an interesting aspect.

https://velocycleireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Registration just opened for We Ride Flanders on 1 April - capped at 16000(!) participants.

I'd highly recommend it although suggest going for the 144 or 179km which also makes logistics a bit easier. Longer route starts in Bruges rather than Antwerp which suggests a change in route from previous years - but you tend to just miss out on 80-100km of flat routes which might be easy for a pro in a peloton but already tire out us dentists before you get to the climbs.

Feels a bit like a Zwift ride in places with so many on the road. One or two climbs where that is a problem but aside from that it is a great day out.

Advertisement