Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moses vs Aidan

Options
  • 08-10-2021 2:45pm
    Administrators Posts: 376 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Off topic: chat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Is Moses an accepted nickname for Aidan?

According to Roots it is but I don't really see/hear the link,

http://www.rootsireland.ie/help/first-names/

I'm following a family line in Wexford and Moses McGuire's census records, death records, children's birth certs all have him Moses McGuire.

However I can only find a matching marriage cert for an Aidan McGuire. Bride's name (Margaret Curren), date, locations all point to this being him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hmm, I've never heard that one myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Census shows that Moses and Margaret have, among plenty of other children, a son called Aidan, born c. 1906. There is a 1905 birth cert for their son who is called Moses so I'm gaining confidence on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its in Wexford, I wonder if its a corruption of Mogue, which is interchangeable with Aidan

Are you sure they were called Moses and its not bad transcripts of Mogue?

It's definitely Moses, but I'll bear that in mid for any other Wexford names I come across.

I've followed this line back and have found that three generations of them are know as Aidan/Moses McGuire. Must be a family tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Karede

Moses/Mogue/Aidan are all an interchangeable form of the same name and very common in Wexford in particular. Ive a number of them in my tree and a nightmare to trace with their ever changing names.

Advertisement