Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect for planning permission

Options
  • 08-10-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Completely new to this area and looking for some advice please.

We have been offered a site for sale, subject to getting local needs planning, which we are investigating at the moment. I have used the County Council website to look at recent planning applications in the area which have been successful and the same Architect came up twice. My problem is that the person and company has little to no history online and seems to have used different telephone numbers and email addresses. Should I be worried?

In my work, I would expect to see a page or two of history on each person. LinkedIn profiles are also empty here which doesn't strike me as normal but maybe it is for an independent architect.

Even applying for planning permission seems like it it going to cost a lot of money and I'm pretty sure we just have an outside chance of being successful so I don't want to lose a lot of money in the process.

Any thoughts, especially from other Architects, would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Plenty of independent successful architects / engineers have empty LinkedIn profiles.

In your work do you ever pick up the phone and speak to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Deeec

It wouldn't bother me at all that they have no LinkedIn profile. The biggest chancers I know have great LinkedIn profiles - LinkedIn thrives on spoofers. Best option is to try and contact previous customers of this architect to get feedback from them. Sometimes there is nothing like reviews from real life people rather than online spoof. Do you like the plans they designed for other people - you should determine this first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thank you MicktheMan and Deeec.

I know what you mean MichtheMan but honestly I am so far out of my depth on this, I felt he could say anything to me and I wouldn't know if he was spoofing or not. I'm not critiquing the Architect for not having an active online profile but I did wonder if it was normal or not.

That's good to know Deeec, I have followed your advice and found the contact details of the family who has had planning approved. I have also approached a local QA in the area to get some feedback.

I actually thought about deleting the original post after I had posted it because it was so...meh \ wishy washy but I decided to leave it because I was worried about it. I am hoping that once I talk\meet with the Architect he\she will guide me through the entire process.

Anyway, thank you both again for responding. I'll give the Architect a call and setup a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

It wouldn't surprise me if they have no history online, the big architects typically don't do one off planning applications unless you are building a mansion as its not worth their time, most countryside applications I've seen are from 1 man band kinda operations or possibly people doing them on the side, did you look at the drawings they did for the other applications and were you happy with the quality of them?

Advertisement