Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA Trilogy Remaster: GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Luckily for me, I didn't give two shíts about such things when I was 18, I certainly don't now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anything to back that up? Just curious if it's true or not.

I kind of felt they didn't really have flying in the engine working yet so just threw the Dodo in there with the best they could do with the flight model and let people have fun with the jank. I know if you got to a certain height that the buildings didn't have collision but I think that might not have been deliberate either, they had collision lower down.

One of the best moments from the local Dodo challenge was when we found that out, my friend was doing really well but was heading straight towards a building and then flew right through it. Lots of calls of bullshit while my friend just laughed about it.

I think I barely ever got that thing off the ground for 20 seconds.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The trick was to never try to fly nose up. That's when you'd stall and plummet to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Dodo wasn't even the best flying vehicle in 3,the tank was....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Anything to back that up? Just curious if it's true or not.

Seems the Dodo wasn't touched, but they made a few changes because of the attacks:

"As far as I recall, we changed the colour of the cop cars so they weren't identical to NYPD, we altered the flight path of a plane so that it didn't look like it was flying into or behind a skyscraper, and we removed one mission as it made a reference to terrorists, plus a few lines of pedestrian dialogue and a line or two of talk radio," Rockstar exec Dan Houser told Edge

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-18-rockstar-how-9-11-changed-grand-theft-auto-3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think the clue is in the name re: Dodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

A good few songs were removed because of licensing in 2012, Billie Jean being one of them... Kate Bush, Lionel Richie, Ozzy Osbourne are others that were removed in updates so its unlikely they'll be in these remasters. Vice City without the full sooundtrack will be incomplete to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

GTA 1 & 2 were great in their own right - a CD-ROM playing actual music during a game. The gaming world changed when GTA3 was released it was revolutionary. The payphone missions. This looks like a cash grab and it such a pity every two years there hasn't been a release but these are all time classics.

Vice City Stories

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

III looked like the map design was a bit rushed in places. Dual carriageways where one side keeps found, but the other ends in a carpark, and various little bits like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Regarding San Andreas and going to the gym. All you do is go to the gym at the beginning of the game and max everything out and you never have to go again and CJ will be a beast at that stage.

Regarding eating just stop by a fast food place every so often and order a bunch of food.

And people talking about GTA IV, the constant phone calls was seriously annoying in that game way more than stopping and getting food in SA.

True but the fact you had to do it added nothing to the game. It was interesting but just ultimately bloat and grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh at the time it was a new concept in a game so it didn't feel like a chore. That was my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was fine at first, given how it also tied into how you could customise CJ rather than just different suits like with Tommy in VC. After a while, or subsequent playthroughs, it just started to feel like a chore for me, and a major annoyance if you ended up in a secluded area trying to run and your stamina keeps dropping due to hunger. I think they just got the balance of it wrong, it happened too often that you couldn't just bounce from one mission to the next when you were in a flow, because you had to take a detour to stop and get something to eat. If it happened 50% less it probably would have been grand.

It was interesting for sure but it kind of didn't work as Penn said. It could have been way more obnoxious but in the end the game would have been improved without it.

I think it's testament that it never showed up in the subsequent games that it wasn't entirely successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At least with GTAIV it replenished health. I'd always try keep my eyes open for a hot dog stand while driving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The talk about eating reminded me of the best GTA radio jingle...

𝄞 If you like chicken with a shítty smell, head on down to Cluckin' Bell 𝄞

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

One of those Cluckin' Bell joints was shut down in Liberty City over food safety.

I prefer going to Burger Shot! In the only Burger Shot in Alderney, there is a Sprunk machine outside it so I grab a bleeder burger and wash it down with a can of Sprunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

𝄞 A chicken is a bird with a tiiiiny braaain 𝄞

😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If they added Vice City Stories to this I would be all over it as I never got to play them at the time...

Other than that unless they look unbelievable I won't be buying them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Was reading a random article with info from an alleged "leaker" about the trilogy. The full price apparently is wrong and it'll be more like 40 euro or so. There will not be massive graphical improvements but faces and lighting with be upgraded as will the cutscenes. There will also supposedly be better aiming and other tweaks here and there. This is all alleged info so I guess take it with a pinch of salt as they say.

Having played the absolute sh1ite out of these games over the years I'm not sure if I'd go for it to be honest, but will wait and see for a trailer and we might know s bit more then. At least we won't have too long to wait for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Would love new levels/story but unlikely . Prob just graphic improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'd be over the moon with just graphic and control improvements. Vice City is my favourite ever game, I put an insane amount of hours into it back when it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's all I'm hoping for as well, shinier graphics and modern controls, anything else will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They simply have to redo the shooting. That triangle targeting system from San Andreas is ancient and awful.

Push Square had a few new details. Texture packs, draw distance, lighting and GTA5 control scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That article is a bit off, I don't think anyone should claim that "GTA: San Andreas’ control scheme is already pretty close to GTA 5" considering how jank the older games are. Even GTA V is pretty bad compared to RDR2 or anything relatively modern.

It's in Unreal so it'd be rather hard for them to redo the old controls in the same janky way, and some assets won't be replaced fully but I'd say light, shadows, particle effects, and reflections might get a huge improvement chancing to Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, that comparison had me like WTF unless they are talking about camera controls but saying "same control system as gta v" is a bit of a weird one.

• Advertisement

I get the feeling that even though it's in unreal it's not going to be a complete engine overhaul. It will probably be like a lot of retrogames that are converted to unity as source ports so are pretty accurate to the old games.

Advertisement