Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add a socket to existing power supply of Firebird boiler

Options
  • 08-10-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a firebird boiler in the garage, Id like to add a socket beside the boiler. Is it possible to take the power supply from the existing boiler wiring. My concerns are that the power to the boiler and circulating pump are reliant on the thermostat in the house and am wondering is there a constant electricity supply to the boiler that I can link into that is independent of the house thermostat. There are two switches in the garage that isolate the boiler and the pump and also a frost protector. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There might be a way around that. First you would need to establish that the wire to boiler is of a size that would carry a useful current for things that you'd plan to use.

You could then control your boiler remotely, subject of course to there being a suitable signal between house and boiler area.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Skorkeys

Many thanks for your response, I just need the socket for the likes of an electrical hedge trimmer etc, I was just wondering as the frost protector can override the thermostat controller and allow the the boiler to receive full power was there a way I could tap into this power supply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You first need to establish the current carrying capacity of the existing cable. A hedge trimmer will draw approximately 3 times the power of your heating system. That's without lights etc. If that wire is protected properly, it will just trip the breaker if overloaded, otherwise it will go on fire if overloaded.

If that wire is adequate, then you need to set up your boiler with a spur from this.

It would be well worthwhile having an electrician throw an eye over it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement