Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That 90s show

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What age is that fella kissing her so. He is hardly 14 too. Kissing an underage girl on camera....

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

I never knew this was happening until I saw it all over tiktok and I was intrigued. Signed up to Netflix to watch this. 

I like some of it but it wasn't for me. I presume the target audience for this show are people who watched the original 70s show. A lot of fans from the original show would be in their 30s and 40s now. I presume many like myself tuned in for the nostalgic aspect. This just isn't it. I watched all 10 episodes back to back today. We don't see a lot of the original cast. They only really show up in a few scenes but not a lot. The series takes us on a journey with Erics teenager daughter while she navigates her summer. They have completely lost their target audience of 30/40 something year olds by going down that route. I would have preferred if the original cast showed up more. 

Aside from that the dialogue from Red and Kitty was hilarious and tuning in for that alone was worth it.

I liked some of the references to the 90s. Like the Beverly Hills 90210 reference and the Jerry Springer reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Darian Lively Bobsled

yeah, the parents/cameos of the original cast/Fenton/the new neighbour were the highlights, the new cast are very weak

I got a lot of targeted ads for this and then realised I am probably the stereotypical target audience - watched and enjoyed the original series, same age as the kids in the new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I wanted to hate it but I didn't. Now, I was not the biggest fan of That 70s Show but I liked it. Considering how bad recent reboots and remakes have been I basically just tuned in to have my expectations confirmed. Surprisingly, I did not hate it and saw the whole season in one day.

Ok, so the young cast is awful; either they can't act or are directed to be so overly dramatic, bordering on grotesque walking stereotypes. The jokes are lame and situations completely unrelatable (for the 40-something-year-old me) but Kitty and Red more than make up for it. It was great to see the old cast, all of them are spot on even though Donna looks ill and Fez is more cringey than I remember. I'd give it a strong 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well watched the last episode just now and honestly the show isn't that great. I've said it already in this thread but I'd say I'm too old for it. I haven't watched that 70's show in years either though but I did watch it all the time many years ago on Sky as it was on repeat. As in every night it was on at the same time for a few years if not longer than that.

Mind you I'd still watch the next season like I watched this just so I can see what it's like, fear of missing out I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only 3 episodes in. It's alright in parts. Red and Kitty are great and the new neighbour is pretty fun. Can't warm to any of the kids though. Apart from the gay guy, they all feel like variations of the characters from the 70's, but also like the writers didn't want to make it obvious so made them like bland versions of them. I think part of the issue may be that, even though they're the best part of the show so far, there's too much focus on Red & Kitty that it's not giving much of a chance to get to know the kids, or to want to get to know them.

Best part so far has been Leo's appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I will admit right from the start that I am totally put off by that laugh track...... I enjoyed T70sS a lot but the CONSTANT laugh track from the clips I have seen? Jesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Funny I found the cameos the most annoying part, red kitty and Leia are good, the rest of the gang are fairly annoying apart from maybe the girl next door. Only a couple of episodes in and it feels very forced.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not too bad. I think it could've been better with regards the young cast, it all feels a lot more forced and a bit cringe compared to how well the gang gelled together in the original show.

Top marks for Red, Kitty and Eric though. They're all still superb, Topher Grace in particular actually. Of the kids, I found the girl playing Leia the best of them and likeable enough.

Overall fairly harmless, not brilliant but not as bad as it might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

So finally got around to finishing this.

As above, it's harmless enough and I did enjoy it to a certain degree. But it almost got worse as it went along rather than better.

First episode with Topher Grace is genuinely good. Man still plays Eric with absolute perfection and the chemistry between him and Red and Kitty really ties it back to That 70's Show.

Once it hands over completely to the new kids, it's instantly obvious it's sorely lacking in everything that made the original show so good. Even Red and Kitty, while putting in a good effort, are let down by weak writing that doesn't do their characters full justice.

There's pretty much zero effort to make it "feel" 90's, it could easily have been set in 2023, not just visually, but with the sensibilities and mannerisms of the characters. A lot of the younger cast are also completely over-acting, almost like an old Nickolodeon show. It doesn't feel organic like it did with the old cast and they're nowhere near as funny.

There's also way too much canned laughter for jokes that just aren't that funny. Overall, I found it very watchable, and definitely not expressly bad, but it needs a lot of improvement for S2 in the writing and acting department.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 2 will arrive this summer and be split in two parts: The first eight episodes will be released Thursday, June 27th; another eight episodes will arrive Thursday, Oct. 24th.

Kitty (Debra Jo Rupp) could lay off the work on her face imho

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

6/10 for me.

Advertisement