Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

so I tried calling 01800 851 669 form my mobile phone (Pixel 6 obv) and it cuts out immediately, like its an invalid number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

@banjobongo Drop the leading 0. Call 1800851669

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

I dropped the 0 at the start of the number in my message for you earlier so you wouldn't make that mistake 😂

Personally, I'd be waiting for 2022 to see what comes out of this Android Wear/Fitbit/Tizen union.

Well the email I got from Google definitely knew I was an Irish customer. They just don't really seem to have any deals.

You can easily change your region on the store by clicking on the flag in the store. The US store definitely has a few deals but I wouldn't say there's anything too amazing in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

No need for VPN - just change the country at the bottom of the store page. Google are happy to sell from anywhere. But they will only deliver to the country of purchase (obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Plug arrived today and it charges at the same rate as my old charger that I had from my Pixel 4.

So I wouldn't bother buying the recommend 30w charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I could be wrong but when the Pixel Stand 2 comes out\is available to order you will get a wired charger with that, right? I know it is more expensive but sure you are kinda getting two in one really!?

Thanks,

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Question for everyone who bought from the Irish Google store. How long does delivery take? I haven't ordered but the store say expected delivery December 21st. How accurate is this and do they ever ship early?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The estimates usually move in closer, but by how much nobody knows. You could easily have that by early December.

Don't know if mentioned, but the standard 6 is down to €600 at Vodafone with Switch and Save. Just get a free SIM from Eir and port across to save the €50.

Edit: actually, I don't know if Eir do free SIMs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Mmm yeah but bear in mind not all power bricks will work with the Pixel 6 so, depending what you have already, you may need a new charger anyway

Perhaps I forgot but presumably we didn't get a chance to choose the colour of the headphones?

I just hope I don't get sent a pair in white as I hate the colour.

Pretty sure last year they were all black, and would expect the same this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

They only ever showed the black ones in promo material, so that's what I'll assume we're getting too!

when we do finally get the headphones (and Im still waiting for my claim to be confirmed) I presume they will be the 700 model, if so, will they have the charging case does anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Either that or the QC45's. Doubt we'd be getting the charging case.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Anyone get the mid November update? I read that it's only US and Japan getting it but I see over on Reddit some people in the UK and Europe have gotten it. Anyone receive it yet?

• Advertisement

I'm on a UK Device and haven't got anything over the past few days.

More I use it though the more I think Google certainly need to hire a few people in their UI and usability department for the Pixel phones. This phone has so many shortcomings compared to Oxygen OS on the OnePlus phones that it's ridiculous. Stock Android is nowhere near what it's cracked up to be when it lacks so many small little touches that make the phone more intuitive.

I used the screen recorder function for the first time tonight and whoever developed that clearly was completely gormless since you have to actually have to go to the notifications panel to stop the recording, with this action actually recorded itself. On OnePlus there is an (invisible on recordings) overlay on the screen at all time with stop/play/pause which shows on your screen but not in the recording. You click this during recording.

What with the fingerprint reader fiasco, the deception by omission marketing spin on charging and the general quality of life issues I can't say I love my Pixel 6 Pro as much as I should. I really really want to love it, but the whole experience just feels underwhelming. Coming from OnePlus over the past 24 months, the OnePlus offering is a much better package with far more polished software that is trying to be as user friendly as possible.

I don't hate my Pixel 6 Pro, but Google have a hell of a lot to do in order to get me to order another phone from them in the future. There are some really nice touches on here but at the same time from a software and hardware point of view, there are still some issues that see them lagging behind the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

From as far back as I remember, the benefits of stock (or close to stock) Android were only ever lack of bloat (resulting in more free space/memory and possibly improved performance) and the lack of such customisation meant that getting upgrades out the door was a quicker experience as the customisations didn't need to redone for new firmwares.

The firmware on the Pixel 6 should get some more spit and polish over time so hopefully principle gripes will be taken care of. Face unlock and other goodies would be nice so we'll see.

Fwiw I'm coming from a OnePlus 5 to the standard Pixel 6. I probably would have initially bought the Pro for the telephoto lens had it been available when I went to preorder (but I was away with family and missed launch by a couple of days). In hindsight, I'm not actually that put out that I just went for the non-pro - I'm just not 100% sure that the price premium would be worth it for my use case.

Coming from the OP5, that fingerprint reader is slower for sure but tbh I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me.

The camera in the Pixel 6 is a huge improvement and that was the main motivation for upgrade.

Performance wise in the day-to-day, I can't say that there's night and day there. Pixel 6 probably a bit snappier but the OP5 was no slouch even 4 years on from launch.

Charging-wise, they're fairly neck and neck for the first 50% of charging but the Pixel would be a bit slower for remainder up to 100% but, again, it doesn't really bother me and I seem to get 2 days out of a full charge on the Pixel 6, which I find impressive (note that I'm on WiFi and 4G so not using 5G) so I'm not charging every day anyway.

The OP5 speakers seemed louder but the sound was harsher and the Pixel 6 definitely sounds more pleasant while perhaps being slightly behind in ultimate oomph.

I do miss the OnePlus sound/notification slider on the side for rapid mute/vibrate and the OP5 was certainly more svelte in every way than the hefty P6 although, once again, I'm now used to the latter so it's moot really.

The free headphones made the deal as a whole fairly worthwhile though and were a crucial tipping point in taking a punt on the Google handset along with the quick access to future Android version upgrades for a number of years. If I'm honest, had the headphones not been there then I probably would have held back to see what Black Friday deals came up or even waited for next gen in '22.

Post edited by pandabat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I applied to return my official Pixel 6 Pro case last night via the original order email but have not heard anything from them since? A pop up appeared saying it had to be back by 30/11/2021 but it is faulty so does that still apply?

Thanks,

M

Couple more irritating issues. I've had Android handsets of various bugs for the last god knows how many years, but the sheer amount of bugs, things which do not work as they should is quite annoying.

Music Pausing Randomly

I have some weird issue when using any music apps where when I'm not using the phone the music randomly pauses from time to time. It happens whether using headphones or not and with various different apps. There's no sure fire way of reproducing it, but it tends to happen more often immediately after increasing or decreasing volume whilst the screen is off. Issue didn't happen on my OnePlus.

Inaccurate Location sensor

Also what's the situation with this phone never knowing where it is. I'm fed up with Google Assistant's "Okay, but first you need to unlock your device' prompts for voice commands since whilst Smart lock is on to stay unlocked when at home the location the phone thinks it is at bounces between me and several of my neighbours which means it's really pot luck. Location is highly accurate on my OnePlus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭micks_address

no havent gotten it.. i suppose its only 10 days till the december update so no panic with it at this stage

Im still waiting for confirmation of my claim for the Bose headphones, I sent them an email last week looking for an update and today I got this reply:

We are so sorry for the delay and we can confirm that this is still being looked into.

Due to the demand of this promotion there are slight delays but we can assure you that our teams are working as quick as they can.

Please keep an eye on your email inbox / spam for any updates.

Did you try calling them? They will probably process for you straight away?

ya, I called them last Friday and the guy i spoke with said they are very busy, he can see my order and everything looks fine, just waiting for the guy in approvals to tick the box and should be soon....that was last Friday and still nothing....the only reason I bought hte Pixel was that I need a new phone and the Bose offer was great but wihtout the offer I would not have gone for it I think.....

Yeah I got that first time I rang. Then rang again the next day and the lady offered to process both my orders (had two separate claims).

Keep ringing them - someone will sort it. I can only imagine how many emails are waiting to be 'processed'. Once your claim is processed, you are probably just as likely to get the headphones before anyone else. There doesn't seem to be any logical order to it.

Good luck with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

I submitted claim Saturday for headphones and got my approval about 15 minutes ago I got the Bose 45 and credit instead of the 700s.

Advertisement