Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

I tried that as well but doesn't seem to have made any difference. At my desk the phone used to have LTE coverage but now it's H+. Don't really mind that as I can leave it on wifi but very annoying when I'm listening to streaming services jogging as it keeps dropping out & then reconnecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pinapples

Factory reset without a restore will guarantee all network settings will revert to default. I know it's a pita, but unless you store media on your device, it usually just involves startup, adding your accounts and installing your apps. I also backup my WatsApp messages and Authenticator settings before I start. That's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

Are people suggesting a factory reset will fix this issue? I'd be surprised if it does. Surely the way to fix it for sure is to flash the previous factory image from November.

https://developers.google.com/android/images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just on the headphones, is Google shipping them or is it farmed to a third party? If it's a third party are they shipping from the UK because all our headphones could be stuck in customs if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pinapples

No, but its one of the obvious things to try... if that didn't work I'd install the original image until a fix is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

Factory reset did nothing for me. Flashing the previous image did the job.

Looking at last year, I had 2 pairs shipped on December 3rd, and they arrived on the 14th and 17th of December. I think they did come through the UK. I'd say there's very little chance of seeing them before the New Year. My 60 days is something like Jan 4th anyway. I'd say the earliest applications were November 1st, which would be December 31st for their 60 days if they were approved straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Just read the thread. I see carries services didn't work:

There is a fix available until Google fixed the issue. Go to your play store. Look for carrier services. Scroll down a little and you see Join the beta option. Select and after a little while you'll see an update for the beta version of the app. Download it and this should fix your network signal issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Switching to carrier services beta program seems to have fixed the issue for me. So far so good.

There's also reports of turning off Adaptive Connectivity in settings helping some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It seems this may only be a temporary fix from what I've been reading elsewhere, others report it having no effect or quickly reverting to as before. The same for the adaptive connectivity setting, either no effect or reverts quickly. Worth trying obviously, but doesn't look good.

I saw a post on reddit saying google are mailing bug submitters a fix to test. I'm in software myself and this seems beyond bananas for a company like Google. Surely they have a boat load of Pixel 6 devices for their own testing. Sending end users fixes to test, that are not guaranteed to work is insanity.

I'd have to assume at this point that the fix will be with the January update. I'll wait for a good while before installing any updates again, which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting with a Pixel device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got the below email from Google this evening

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

This has worked for some people and not for others. I tried it last week and it did nothing for me and I ended up rolling back to the November build. It's possible there's a newer version of Carrier Services this week but if not it's not really a fix as it only works for some people and even then isn't always permanent. Worth a try but don't expect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

They possibly do but, depending on where the dev is being done, their ability to test with problematic networks, specifically in Europe may be limited. They'd need devices and test teams in many European countries to verify the efficacy of any fixes across many networks and so it seems expedient to use bug reporters too.

That said, you'd assume that, given their size and dominance, they wouldn't have to resort to that but here we are.

Not uncommon alas. Microsoft now infamous for effectively having users being effectively testers and OnePlus' recent disastrous OxygenOS 12 rollout being just 2 examples that spring to mind.

Let's just hope that the next iteration improves but so it goes at the bleeding edge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Good evening all. Looking at the thread has put me off buying one of these in the New Year.

Should I be put off or would you still recommend?

I for one haven't experienced any issue with connectivity with my Pixel 6 Pro although I do find the battery a little disappointing but perhaps I am just using the phone more these days than my old one, but in saying that it does have a good camera that takes nice photos which is the main reason I bought the phone and the reason I like Google's pixel line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

It's actually 60 days after approval if you check the confirmation email. So that's the 17th of Jan for me.

I've a S20 plus and its almost a couple of year old. I'm interested in the pixel 6 pro, But vodafone doesn't stock the pro model. So either I take the standard 6 model and avail of the buds offer (the standard pixel wont cost me anything, as I'm due an upgrade). And stick with that. Or I take the pixel 6 and sell it sealed in the box, and go directly to google and buy the pro model. Is it worth the extra 350 or so that I'll have to spend?

Another alternative is to wait for the S22....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I called Google yesterday to complain and ask if I can return the phone for a refund. I am waiting on a response

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I have the 6 rather than the Pro and am very happy with it. Outside of the connection issues, which aren't that much of a problem for me as I am working from home, I have loved it so far. Camera is great and despite it taking a bit of time at the start, I have gotten used to the Pixel launcher after coming from Samsung.

Battery is also fantastic with more than enough to last the day. Have had close to 10 hours screen on time with over 20% left a few days ago.

Still waiting on my headphones despite being approved on Nov 1st, but outside of that, I am very happy with my purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Standard Pixel 6 on Vodafone and fortunately I have also experienced no issues with signal either. Battery is great its and lasts a day easy with relatively heavy enough use. Cant understate the difference this has made after upgrading from my old Pixel 3 which was barely off the charger. Camera excellent. Also, waiting on headphones. I would recommend. I don't know is this network problem exclusive to some networks. Any other Voda user experience it for example?

The pixel on Vodafone is unlocked and no boat wear?

Does WiFi calling work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As far as I know it's unlocked. Definitely no bloat wear, and wifi calling works fine.

Just an S10 Lite. Had an S9 plus before that. Was jarring at first but can get around the phone and whatever I need at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Would the Wifi calling be the reason you are not experiencing the network difficulties myself and many other are facing? Masking the problem when you are indoors, where the signal issue is worst?

Are you happy with the screen size. I'm a little apprehensive about the pixel 6 screen size coming from a s20 plus. Which is another reason I'm considering the 6 pro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm not experiencing the network problems without any WiFi calling using a 6 Pro. It's really bizarre how some are completely unaffected by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I thought I wasn't affected by the connection issue, until I saw my wife's pixel 3a have LTE connection roaming in Spain, while my 6 is stuck on H+ and very slow. I even manually connected to a few LTE networks, but still on H+....

• Advertisement

Yes, I had the same consideration at the time but the difference was small enough that it didn't bother me. It is still very large in hand and more than good enough for browsing, Reddit, YouTube etc.

Genuinely very happy with my purchase. Battery was one of my most important issues and it has been brilliant. Saying that and the current issue aside, I have been mostly at home and going off WiFi so it may be harder on the battery when on data. On that also, I don't have a a 5g Sim so that probably also helps. Even if I get one (which I am entitled to with my package), I wouldn't use it much as 4g is more than enough for my use case. I have read that the 5g chip in the phone is hard on battery but it's a non-issue for me.

Advertisement