Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

Does it make any difference if it's on? Mine is on, and can't say I've noticed any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users Posts: 32 wellysbw

Im still having restarting issues. At least once a day. Bluetooth, if I turn it off for a while, ( usually do this so my Samsung watch picks up GPS faster using Strava) the phone and watch take a while for it to connect again. I'll sometimes have to go into Samsung wear and reconnect. And the smart lock isn't great either. Hit and miss. I'm using a combo of location and Devices to keep it unlocked.

Going to get back into Google again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

Been well over 3 months and still no sign of the headphones.

Well it can't be well over 3 months, since the first people approved were less than 3 months ago. Most people waiting now were some time after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

Yeah they asked me to share the bug report files via drive and I selected Google Support to be allowed to view the files but they replied saying that they have no access to them still. I then replied and said that I have them selected as being able to view them and they replied saying they will get back to me soon. I never had the December patch, was removed I think before I went to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

I'm with three also but I experience complete signal loss many times a day. It didn't happen on my OnePlus 7 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

See I can't be sure that what Im experiencing isn't 3 related. They are one of the worst networks in my experience I have been with and this is a corporate account so I cant move. However in fairness to them, my S8 rarely had mobile data issues unless the signal was completely gone. My P6P could be in full coverage and saying LTE is there but I have to refresh the page 2 or 3 times for it to show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

It could also be a combination of both. The recent network connectivity issues seemed more pronounced with Eir & 3, less so with VF going by this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

its now officially over two months (60 days) since I got my confirmation email saying I was approved for the Bose headphones and still no news, from reading these pages I guess Im not the only one...I dont have the time or the inclination to call them to try to find out when I will get them...has anybody else tried to call them lately to find this out?

• Advertisement

Tomorrow is 90 days for me. Emailed them about a week ago, got a reply yesterday saying that it's a very popular promotion and just to be patient etc etc. I'm cool with all that, but the reality is that there are people that were approved weeks after me, and have been sent theirs. I don't know why it's so hard for companies to do these things in order. The same happens with pre-orders on phones, they're never sent out in the order of people actually making their orders. It always seems completely random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

90 days - ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rissos

I'm now 90 days since my approval message, with no sign. I've sent three emails to the contact details on the claim site in the last couple of weeks, but no reply to any of them. I'm now 10 minutes on hold to the phone number.

Gave up the call after 20 minutes with no answer. This is very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

The lengthy delay by itself is bad enough, but the customer service from the offer company is really shocking. I emailed about it and got a vague reply 10 days later. Emailed again and no reply.

I got onto Google themselves about it and they said "theres nothing we can do, you just need to contact the offer company yourself" - just totally washed their hands of it.

Its really not the customer service experience you'd expect from a big company like Google, its just awful all-round. It'd really put me off buying from them again.

I don't know what you expect Google to do? I'm pretty sure the same promotions company does all these things for various manufacturers, and this year is really slow, even compared to last year. All they can really do is switch to a different promotions provider next year, or just drop the promotions altogether. Unfortunately, I'd say that most people get surveyed by Google when they buy a device, and most would say that the promotional item was what swayed their decision.

I'm a customer who spent the guts of €1000 with Google. The normal behaviour in this sort of scenario for big companies would be for the Google customer service agent to go off and talk to the promotions company to try and find an answer for me and get back to me. ie "we're very sorry about the delay, we've checked in on the status of your order and your new expected arrival time is by March 1st" or X other date.

Or if they can't give an in anyway satisfactory answer, ie "we have absolutely no idea" to offer some sort of token apology gesture - a google Play Store voucher for €10 or something.

Giving me a blanket "theres nothing we know or can do about this, go away" answer is spectacularly unhelpful and far below the expected level of customer service.

Gotta love compo culture in Ireland. It even goes as far as a compensation voucher for a delayed free item provided by a third party.

Google deliberately outsource these things to not have to deal with stuff like this. If the company running the promotion can't give any meaningful info, I don't know what you expect from Google.

Its nothing to do with "compo culture". Nobody is suing anyone. Its everything to do with customer service.

I've managed a customer service team in a large tech firm and on average replying to every customer support email cost the company $3. Per email. This is similar across most firms with CS departments in first world countries. Which is why most large firms are more than happy to offer small token gestures of of $10-$20 to help compensate for an issue - it doesn't cost much more than replying multiple times to emails, and generates good will/customer loyalty from customers.

When its a gift voucher for your own store it also usually results in the customer actually spending more than the value of the token - it may not ever get used/cost you anything, but if it is they often use that $10 off a $50 order or similar. So it actually can result in a financial gain for the company or at least very little loss. So its just good, logical, management.

Google's Customer Service Representatives are presumably getting emailed/called by huge numbers of customers about this offer being so chronically delayed, so in a well run environment they would have established a direct communications line with the promotions company for them to check the status of each order then and there so they could inform the customer directly. Its customer service basics.

And as I said, the promotions company can't provide the status of each order. Do you just want Google to make it up?

The reality is that the same promotion run by the same company ran a lot more smoothly last year. Do I feel like Google should give me some money because the promotion company is running behind schedule? No.

Google also probably know that once people have their free headphones, everything will be forgotten and it's highly unlikely someone wouldn't take up a future offer just because it might take a while to receive their free €300+ headphones.

Easy solution is for them to not put the 60 day timeframe on the offer, even though there is scope for it to take longer than that in their terms.

The promotions company almost certainly have a fairly good rough idea of the order fulfillment time. Based on how many headphones they have in stock, how many/when they're getting more in stock, and where each order is in the order fulfillment queue. Theres very little chance they're just winging it, putting in random orders for items and randomly sending them out. They're not giving out that information based on policy, which is a management decision, which again is bad customer service.

Its not relevant how past promotions ran. What is relevant is that this whole process has been incredibly badly handled by normal, well established, customer service standards. Which is far below the standard of service Google usually aim for.

It absolutely won't be forgotten, the amount of negative responses/feedback about the Pixel 6 first for its November service update (and how they handled that) and now for the promotion delays have been a disaster for the company's phone and customer service teams. Look at how many posters in this one small thread alone have talked about selling their phones, or not buying one that they had intended to, or never buying a Google phone again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

2/3 times a day I need to turn on airplane mode for a second to get phone signal back on the Pixel 6 even with the latest January update, I miss my P30 Pro 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,996 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Google deliberately outsource these things to not have to deal with stuff like this. If the company running the promotion can't give any meaningful info, I don't know what you expect from Google"

1) outsourcing with a view to avoiding responsibility isn't good customer service

2) Google are vicariously liable for the actions of their agents, despite what you say. They should pull their finger out and sort it.

PS - I'm not waiting on headphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Completely bizarre attitude TheRona. Google's response has been absolutely abysmal. People here have dropped the guts of a grand on a phone with the promise that headphones, worth over a third of that amount, would be forthcoming. Would you accept that from a bricks and mortar retailer or someone on adverts? 'Yeah I'll give you that 300 quid we agreed on at some point. Not really sure when though. Can't give you anymore details, sorry.'

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Maybe some of those knowns are not quite so known at the moment? Some supply chain stuff is still all over the shop at the moment and Chinese new year holidays are now/soon so, depending on what is coming from where, further delays may occur.

I'd agree that it's slightly disappointing that the offer has taken so long to materialise (I don't even know how many days past 60 I am now - no point in counting now) but at the end of the day I will eventually get a pricey set of headphones for free.

From my own experience, my time with the phone itself has been largely trouble-free so I wouldn't discount getting another Google phone at some stage in the future (although probably not a Pixel 7 unless something truly compelling happens in mobile tech in the next 6 months).

I can also see why the frequent seeking/suggestion of compensation (which some might call a "compo culture" without there being a need for suing to take place) for getting such an expensive item offered for free might get a bit tiresome though when the full terms & conditions show that the 60 day limit is something that they will only endeavour to satisfy rather than a guaranteed time limit. Afaics, at this stage, the headphones will come when they come.

I'd encourage anyone who is not satisfied to vote with their feet though and not purchase from Google the next time around and to also send a mail to that effect to Google so that they are clear on the impact that the mismanagement of this offer (for whatever reason) is having on their customers and possible future sales. While it doesn't particularly bother me now, they certainly could have managed expectations a whole lot better.

The headphone offer was certainly a big part in deciding to get the phone for me.

Post edited by pandabat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd agree re the bad service but it feeds into the fact that this pixel launch has been one big clusterfcuk.

Right from the first minute when the website crashed and people couldn't order it to long wait times for people who wanted it, advertising specs which weren't realized, lack of availability of accessories. Then all bugs that came with the phone originally and then on top of that the mess that was the December update and not being able to make a call for 5 weeks. I'm not surprised with the way Google have handled the headphones fiasco.

You don't expect this from one of the biggest companies in the world but the reality is that the pixel is a continuous beta phone that tests the latest Android versions. That's grand when their phones were inexpensive but when you're spending close to a grand then you expect better.

Having said that I got the headphones and am really liking the phone at the moment.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

They're not really free though, they're obviously part of the overall deal. I might not necessarily have gone for a Pixel 6 Pro without the headphones offer. There's certainly some compelling alternatives at that price point.

But it's not like that at all. I guess if you don't ever get headphones, then you'd have a point. The terms of the promotion allow for them to go past the 60 days, and I highly doubt they're doing that for no reason. I guess I'm just more laid back than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 wellysbw

I've received my headphones yesterday. Very impressed. I'm the same as a few above, the headphone deal made me choose the pixel over other phones. Possibly a OnePlus.

However, the glitches with my phone have been extremely disappointing:

Restarting randomly, more than once a day, Bluetooth connectivity, smart lock issues, and most recently, screen going blank when the phone rings. The best phone camera I've ever had doesn't make up for all those issues. Currently discussing with customer service what next steps are

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

My claim was approved on the 11th of November, I've heard nothing since, so sent off an email last week and got this reply this morning:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

We have noticed that your claim has been and still is in fulfilment, however your reward is processing therefore it should be with you soon.

Sadly, we can not give specific shipping and delivery dates until the reward is with the courier.

Please keep checking your emails for any further updates on this.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Google Promotional Support Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Anyone having an issue with Google Pay? It will not work most of the time for me, the error at checkout is 'unsupported device' or it just doesn't work at all, giving 3 error beeps instead. I have tried this in a lot of shops so it is not the terminals, and my card will work using tap to pay after.

Restarting doesn't seem to help either. Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement