Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

Yeah I've just got that also, not installed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thanks, looks like this Backup by Google One service is what I was looking for and what you are referring to.

Backup by Google One automatically saves data from your phone. Data saved with Backup by Google One includes:

• App data
    • Call history
    • Contacts
    • Settings
    • SMS messages
    • Pictures and videos
    • MMS messages

Looks like it's all up and running and will make this process a lot easier than I was expecting. Figuring out best way to migrate MFA codes is next on the to do list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Probably all seen it but 20% off everything on Google store with GOOGLEPARTY24 today. Tempted to pick up a second wireless stand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

20% off in the Google store today using code

GOOGLEPARTY24

Brings the 128gb Pixel 6 Pro to €719 with free delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

The code will also add an extra 20% to some of the already discounted items

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't say I'm seeing any improvement in the battery since the last update.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It always takes several days before you can really assess any changes

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

After the android 13 update my pixel 6 was a mess. Lots of little bugs and some more serious bluetooth issues.

September update did not improve things.

I did a factory reset 2 days ago, started from scratch and did not restore from backup.

Phone is really good now, better than android 12 ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone else seeing frequent lockups on the Pixel 6?

I'm up to date but it just locks up at least once a day and refuses to launch apps etc. for about 30-40 seconds.

Also, when it's locked is there any way to make the pull down controls (WiFi, do not disturb etc.) inaccessible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

Sort of. Sometimes in a search when I click on a link nothing seems to happen for ages. Apps seem OK though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Is anyone having an issue with their Pixel Stand? Mine isn't charging my phone anymore, the orange light comes on but I can't hear that fan and it's refusing to charge. This happen a few weeks ago too, but I unplugged it for a day or two and it started to work again, but it's currently not working for nearly a week now. It's still under warranty so I'll try to exchange it, but between this and the rubbish official Pixel case, I haven't been impressed with the accessories so far.

No issues here, although I only charge overnight so it wouldn't ever fast charge.

You should have a white light when you charge. The orange light is telling you there's an issue. Are you using the cable that came with the stand? Have you tried charging without a case on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I'm using the cable that came with it and took off the case, I even tried to charge it on it's side but nothing works. I've been onto Google Support and they have agreed to exchange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

if any looking for a case I have a original unopened google 6 case (stormy sky) for sale. €20 including postage (normal post). Thanks

Came across this from one of my favourite YouTubers thought I would share it here.

It's an open source version of Android focused on privacy and security the team behind it developed it for the pixel because these phones from Google have excellent inbuilt security. For example the inbuilt Titan chip for encryption.

They have a web-based USB installer, I haven't tried installing it just yet but it seems simple enough and they have lots of information about the OS on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Do you still have the option to head back to stock android if you don't like this flavor of android?

Yes it is very simple. Google also have an online tool for reinstalling the stock image.

Edit: alternatively, you can use this link to reinstall the default operating system if you want to.

You'll need access to a PC and be able to download and run ADB tools from the command line.

But if you would rather not go to all of that hassle than this is the official online tool for installing the OS on Pixel phones.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I tried graphene OS for a little bit but decided to go back to stock because in the end I don't mind trading a bit of privacy for the convenience and usability of the stock operating system. When I reinstalled I chose only to import my SMS and phone logs and contacts so far I can say I'm liking the look and feel of Android 13.

However I have encountered one persistent bug with Bluetooth. My set of wireless earbuds keep sending me a pairing request even when they are already paired and switched off in their case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does anyone use Accubattery? I bought my 6 Pro at launch and have been careful enough about how I charge it, usually charge it up to 82-83% in the morning to try and preserve the long term battery life. The odd time I forget to take it off and it goes past that but am usually pretty good about it.

The battery health was 99% at new and has just dropped to 98%. The estimated capacity was fairly static at around 4950mAh from new but as of a month or so ago it has started dropping by 1mAh every day or two. Would be interested in comparing it against anyone who's charged the phone to 100% every day since launch, just to see if it's making any difference or if I'm wasting my time here.

• Advertisement

I really didn't think any of those battery saving techniques applied to modern battery tech, at least not enough to justify the constant obsessing over it.

Just do your best to stop your phone (and battery) from getting excessively hot is probably the most beneficial way of prolonging your battery life, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

The adaptive charging feature is driven by a algorithm developed by google to prolong battery life whilst preserving it at the same time. It does take into account a lot phone behaviours to create optimum charging schedules. The idea is that battery life will be extended by reducing bad charging habits most users have, which in turn delays when a battery needs to be replaced.

This is done in Electric Vehicles (on a more complex scale) in order to preserve battery life. People often incorrectly assume charging a battery is the same as filling up a fuel tank in that it occurs in a linear fashion. But in reality as the the closer the battery gets to full, the slower the charge. Thats why the Pixel can do 50% in half hour and then tapers off - to preserve battery life over the long term.

Micro managing your charging will give you little more benefit over enabling the manufacturers adaptive charging battery management system.

Unfortunately there is a bug with the Bluetooth in Android 13 I again reinstalled the factory image and good news solved the headphones constantly sending a pairing request however the issue is now occuring with my polar watch.

I'm going back to last version of Android 12 and will wait until Google issues the next OS patch.

Disappointed that such an important feature isn't working correctly but hopefully they won't take to long to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Still having some battery drain on new version of Android.

If I have a Google One account, will that restore all of my phone memory if I factory reset the device?

You can see what it backs up when you search for backup in settings. The main hassle is logging back into apps that require it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I finally did a factory reset on the request of Google to see if my screen freeze/device restart issue could be resolved but I encountered the problem again before I had even finished resetting up.

I did find the whole back up and restore process to be great. I wasn't aware of it until t it was pointed out here when I asked. I had always used the device to device method to restore settings on a new phone which obviously isn't an option for a factory reset.

With the launch set for tomorrow, I've started a thread for the Pixel 7/Pixel 7 Pro

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058266136/google-pixel-7-pixel-7-pro/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So would a Pixel 6 Pro a good bet if you got a new/used one for around €600?

Or a Pixel 6 for €400 - Im not bothering with the 7s due to the way were being fucked over with the freebies so Ive been looking at the 6 series at the right price.

It's a good phone. I'll be selling my P6Pro, and will be hoping for around €500. You shouldn't have a problem getting a decent used one for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

flip flopped over the weekend ordering the pro 7 with free watch till the watch appeared out of stock yesterday evening and hasnt come back.. seems like its a done deal.. i have the pro 6 and honestly from everything ive seen the upgrades seem relatively minor so im going to try and hold out till the 8 pro next year.. few things like the face unlock seem a bit pointless.. its not secure enough for payments and doesnt work in low light.. maybe they will add back in the tech from the pixel 4 which was more secure for next year..

Advertisement