Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old blunt and broken garden tools.

Options
  • 10-10-2021 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

I have a half dozen or so blunt garden shears dumped in my garage. I bought a whetstone for sharpening them but my efforts didn't amount to much.

I also have some very old spades and forks with wooden handles that have snapped in two half way down. I would love to have these repaired with new handles.

Is there anywhere I can get these items professionally sharpened at a reasonable cost and have broken handles replaced.

If not...can these be donated somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Where are you living?

Any hardware shop or farm supplies will have handles for long handled tools

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sre the shears warped slightly? as long as the blade edges engage with each other as they operate, sharpening them should be reasonably effective AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I suppose I am guilty of buying cheaper quality shears. I would get 3 years out of a €10 spend on them....then buy another set. I am not sure that I am the type of person to spend €40 on a shears as I try to spend as little as possible on my garden. Maybe I would get a lifetime, rather than 3 years out of a quality set. I suppose spending €10 to sharpen a €10 shears might seem odd, but if it prolongs the life then maybe it is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am a bit hazy about the science of it but if they were cheap/poor quality (not always the same thing) shears to start with the metal might be too soft to get an edge by sharpening and you will never make a difference to them. A bit like trying to sharpen kitchen knives, some will, some won't.

Advertisement