Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Asus RT-AC86U to RT-AX88U

Options
  • 10-10-2021 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I have a new AX88U arriving tomorrow that will offer me a few needed bumps over my AC86U. Primarily additional LAN ports and WiFi-6.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to use the settings backup utility to transfer my current network setup on the 86u across to the 88u?

My planned workflow would be to flash the 88U with latest Merlin FW as per the 86U.

Then backup the 86U and upload that file to the 88U? My main concern is what could go wrong? I''m planning on using the 86U in an outbuilding connected via LAN as a mesh ap. Would the MAC address from the original router create any conflict issues? Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In case anyone has a similar thought to me with regard to transferring their settings from an old Asus Router to a new one?

It's a no.

Settings file from the old router will upload, but won't apply any settings. Not the end of the world and easily dealt with via adding the info and settings manually.

My advice would be to screenshot your configs, DNS, VPN and routing table and so on and then just add them to the new router as you go through its set up.

My only real gripe is that your DDNS doesn't transfer (assuming Asuscomm) you need to contact Asus support with your Old and New router Mac and serial and ask them to unbind the DDNS from the old router.

All in all, settings transfer would have greatly eased the process but still had everything moved SSID, VPN, DNS filter, and other settings all moved and up and running within 30 minutes.

The new router greatly improves overall WiFi throughput and the extra LAN ports eliminate an unmanaged switch and powersupply from my setup. The old router in AP mode just blankets my house, garden and outbuildings with high quality coverage. Very happy with the outcome.

Advertisement