Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Tony McMahon

Options
  • 10-10-2021 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

The great accordionist and television producer Tony McMahon has passed away, controversial in his time when he slammed the River of Sound TV series on the Late Late Show and the mad De Danann argument on Joe Duffy's radio show in 2009. He'll always be remembered for his renditions of some of the beautiful slow airs of Ireland like in his first album and he was a decent player of the pure drop of reels and jigs too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

A great musician, a great person, and an intellectual who could analyze Traditional Music. He will be greatly missed.

He had a sharp tongue, but he explained that and apologized for it in the programme TG4 broadcast about him two years ago.

Suaimhneas síoraí dá anam uasal, Gaelach.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,242 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭narmst

Was just looking at Sé Mo Laoch S2E3 on TG4 which features Tony MacMahon (RIP).

He seemed to live in Dublin 8 - row of older cottages of some kind. I know it’s somewhat off topic but does anyone know what street or area it’s in?

I’m moving from the country to the town myself and it’s exactly the type of ‘cottage in the town’ vibe I’d want. He makes the it look like a lovely community/street.

Lovely music in the programme- RIP Tony.

Thanks, Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some years later, but this site is dead enough it should be ok to bounce - Reginalds Square off Meath Street

Advertisement