Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewe with swollen ear

• 10-10-2021 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Noticed a ewe today with a swollen ear, it a lump 1/2 the size of a golf ball any idea what it could be

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Without seeing pics, it could be an abscess. Is it warm to touch hard/soft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ears swell wth photosynthesis but the eyes and face usually swells as well

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

I'll get a pic later. Face seems ok will catch her later and have a closer look

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Could it be a reaction to the tag or the tag partially pulled out from being caught in fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

Ear is warm feels soft like there's water in it. It's above the tag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

In that case I would puncture it with a clean needle and try to expel the contents and then blue spray when done. Some would say leave it and let her drain it herself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd agree, leave it alone, looks like a bruise filled with blood or water. She'll probably reabsorb it herself.

Sometimes it annoys them and they keep shaking their head and they agravate it, then you have to do something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Had something similar in an older ewe during the summer - started with her ear, wasn’t too bad so left it alone. It got a bit worse over time and by the time I brought her into the shed her head has started to swell a small bit…

She wasn’t off form with it, ate ration no bother. She improved rapidly inside, head was fine I can’t remember if the ear completely healed or just went back down to a smaller kinda swelling…

I put it down to some kinda photo synthesis thing. Was surprised though, as she was 4 or 5 years old and hadn’t had any issues before. She was also brown faced and not white - for some reason I thought it affected white faced sheep more? But I think it’s some plant they eat that affects them more than anything…

She made 150euro in the factory soon after, so I wasn’t too upset by any of it 😉🙂

Advertisement