Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brass (effect) edge banding?

Options
  • 11-10-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm currently mulling over building media unit for a TV, TV box and sound bar. I want to base the design on mid-century triangle table so it'll fit into a corner., see image below but the other way round. I'll have 2 layers so there will be a shelf for the TV box. I'll use 18mm birch ply and stick on some walnut veneer, I'm also hoping to add some black dansette type legs.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to edge band in brass on curves? how easy it is to do, is it possible? any tips or tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Sounds like a great way to cover end grain. I've not tried it, but looked at using some to make an LED light fitting, went with some copper sheeting I had for a finish though. I would probably look at 1-2mm flat bar for the job-should be pliable enough with some heat. 5 min epoxy to stick it, and a ratchet clamp would help clamping the curves.

Standard router bits are well able mill soft metals apparently, though I would be inclined to use one you are not too fussed about wrecking.

Spoke to this crowd at the time, who seemed to have decent stock:

Advertisement