Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Lawnmower for storing

Options
  • 11-10-2021 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

I want to clean my lawnmower and paint it's underside with rustoleum, however, I thought the way to do this was to scrape of the grass and then use a power washer. I watched the video below and he says you should never put a power washer near it.

I have scraped off a fair bit of grass using a wooden board, and then realised that because I had it tilted for so long, now the mower won't start (as I was about to attach the hose as used in video below). How should I have cleaned the grass off? Do I need to somehow elevate the lawnmower a few feet off the ground? How does anyone else do this? I can't get it started now as I had it tilted forwards while I was cleaning it. Is there an easy enough way to get it started now?

Here is the video mentioning no power washer. I never knew that thing sticking out was for the lawnmower either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You can only tilt it on it's side so that the Carburettor is on top otherwise the carb can get oil in it. Take out the spark plug & clean it & take out the air filter, wash it in dish wash liquid, rinse well & make sure it's completely dry before you refit it.

Never pressure wash because it can blow all the oil & grease out of the bearings - same for a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Spark plug out and pull the cord a good few times. You want to get engine oil out of the ignition compartment. Clean the plug too and refit. May need to repeat a good few times.

if your prepping for painting I’d use scraper and wire brush. Wire brush on drill a good way to finish it before painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks, hopefully the weather stays good and can try that on Wednesday.

I tilted it forward because I thought tilting it sideways was the wrong way.. 🙈

I'll get a wire brush tomorrow. Thanks again.

Advertisement