Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone recognizes this tune?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Reminds me of the chorus of "Vindaloo" by Fat Les (England football song from the France 98 world cup) and also of the traditional/kids song "She'll be coming round the mountain"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Does it go like this, the fourth, the fifth, the minor falls, the major lifts

I think it's the France '98 music by Dario G (which is inspired by a bunch of international musical styles, but particularly Brazil). And it also sounds partially like the aforementioned Vindaloo.

So if you remember the summer of 1998, you remember that tune, as it was everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Thanks a million!

It sounds exactly like a mix of these two songs! Though I can't rid myself of the feeling that I had already heard something similar to the video I posted, I mean, like the tune of "she'll be coming around the mountains" but faster paced. Maybe I'm deluding myself into that falso recollection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is the original a B side by Nin Huugen and the Huugen Notes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are you sure it's not "The hoor among the nettles roaring"? Often mistaken for "The mangled badger"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Ok, done a bit of detective work and come up with a definitive answer.

The song (or perhaps better described as a chant) is called "On est là!" (We're here!). It originated with the supporters of Lens and Marseille football clubs, so there is indeed a football connection.

In recent years it's been used as a chant by the Gilets Jaunes and various anti government protest groups. The video in the OP was of a recent protest against the covid vaccine pass introduced by the French government so makes sense that they would be singing it.

Below video is of Lens supporters singing it 5 years ago.

Another mystery solved. Case closed :D

Advertisement