Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Issue?

Options
  • 11-10-2021 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi folks

I posted this in the top sticky but not sure if its regularly viewed. Quick query hoping those with more knowledge in this area can help. I am currently with Eir, living in Terenure. I'm paying for up to 100MB however the broadband is very slow. Speed tests show a max of 11MB download. I contacted Eir and they said that the max I can get on my line is 12 MB due to the distance of my house from the local cabinet. They also said that no matter what provider I go with it will be the same. Is that correct? I am stuck with 12MB?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

As long as you have to use the copper 'phone' line for broadband you are limited by distance from the cabinet, so Eir are most likely correct.

You could look for an alternate means of providing broadband which might improve your situation ......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is the SIRO fibre network available in your area? Check their website.

Open-eir are rolling out their fibre "IFN" network to urban areas, not sure what their rollout plan is in the Dublin area.

Is Virgin Media available where you are, might be the best option until fibre is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Thank you both for the responses – much appreciated.

Do Virgin not use the same line as Eir?

SIRO aren't in the area yet, and the Open-eir rollout plan is not for yonks in my area.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Virgin Media use their own cable network

Advertisement