Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone ( KN Group) have run a data cable through my site - no permission

Options
  • 11-10-2021 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

We have just moved to Donegal and have started to clear and develop a site we have. It's just off the main road into a cul de sac where two other houses were built. I just found out at the weekend that one of the houses close to us had fibre broadband installed recently. (Was speaking to the neighbour at the weekend) KN Group came out and installed it for her but they ran a cable from a telephone pole from the main road under the road leading into our cul de sac but then pushed it across our site.

The area where they were able to make the connection is in a concrete blocked square hole in the ground on the right hand side of the boundary fence put there by the developer back in 2005/6. There has never been a cable run through here up to now (for phone line or fibre). I don't know at this point if the developer installed a conduit under the road to this and laid it through our site or if KN used one of their little robots to burrow a hole. I need to do a bit of digging (literally) to see where the cable runs and how far below ground to see the extend of the issue.

Regardless of whether or not the developer ran a conduit through my site and not down the middle of the road my issues are that KN have now gone and installed this line without permission from me for either access or install. It is also in a place where drainage pipes need to be laid as the soil is waterlogged and the wire is actually submerged in the water. It is right beside a border fence which will impede and impact on any shrubs and it also impacts on building foundations for a wall at the front of the site (roadside).

Can anyone advise what I can do or the best approach? Is it the responsibility of the neighbour to right this wrong and tell the company to undo or lay alternative cabling (she is a tenant so don't think the owner would be too happy if a big bill was coming his way for digging up the road). I can explain to her the issue that it causes and give her time to sort it out before I start doing site works...the cable will ultimately need to go as it impedes on any works we intend to do. Can I actually take it up as it is illegally placed? I don't think they have the right like ESB do to lay cables like this. Or do I need to contact Vodafone or KN to resolve? Solicitor is last resort...I would hope that common sense prevails somewhere though.

It really irks me that utility companies can just go ahead and do this without a care in the world. I've got a similar issue with ESB but I will put that on a different chat, If I can find the right one, to get advice on it.

Thanks in advance

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Will it really impede your flowers and wall. Who is the fibre supplying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just a couple of points -

1 Is it possible that the previous owner of your site gave a way leave?

2 If you remove the cable you will be in conflict with your neighbour as well as the company.

3 Will the cable be any use to you when you want bb installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you like a year's free internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Todin

Thanks all, appreciate your comments.

The access to the line is right on the boundary, when I plant trees then that will cause an issue of access for the house next door and possibly for me with them having to cut away at them to get to the access point. The fibre is supplying the house next door.

Regards to the way leave - I imagine that is a legal document and would have to be registered with the deeds. No burden like that has been registered. A conflict has already been created with the company putting the line there in the first place....without permission. I want to take the more rational approach and not upset either party. If they had taken the under the road option it wouldn't be an issue. I had thought of that alright, possibly using the couduit to feed my house. I doubt the same line would be used as that would split and diminish the signal. I would need to get an engineer out to have a look. Any idea on what company could best do that?

Advertisement