Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superman is bisexual now!

Options

Comments

It's still "superman". They did the same thing before with "supergirl (I actually enjoyed the movie, but the tv shows were very different).

It's using an established franchise the promote an agenda. Create a new franchise and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The gender "war". I said it earlier: "Strong obnoxious female characters, and weak corrupt simpleminded white males." You see it a lot in Hollywood, American TV or the newer comic book series.

Here it would be the desire to promote sexuality. It's an extension of the woke agenda of pushing one group over another... usually by trampling on someone else to do so.

Remember the controversy over the trailers for the "No Time to Die" Bond movie, which showed strong female characters who said nasty remarks to the established male character to take him down a few notches. No difference to Terminator or a variety of other established franchises with male primary roles, but supplanted by female characters, usually by tearing down the previous existence of the male characters. (also usually with terrible results, and claims of a toxic fanbase)

There's a trend in Hollywood and TV to introduce certain social groups as needing to be thrust into the spotlight usually by assuming the success of previous shows. It could be batman/batwoman, superman, or the bond movie. Its hardly anything new... and is set to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hahaha its like you can prewrite what posters will say around here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Your thinly veiled annoyance shows though when you go on "desperate attempt to pander to the alphabet community". Your defensiveness about not being annoyed or upset are very telling too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah leave him be, fair play to Clark.

You should be happy for him instead of claiming this isn't newsworthy despite the fact that your posting about it clearly indicates that you do, in fact, believe this is newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,213 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

he is now magically somehow bisexual after 83 or whatever years and... so might as well go ultra woke and make him a mental health advocate...

” sorry, I can’t go save 60 people in a burning bus hanging over a cliff, Kevin here is feeling a bit low and I want to stay and have a chat with him and talk about us growing Rhododendrons together... “

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i missed this storyline, is he half human, or...?

Fictional characters fictional son is revealed to be bisexual. Internet meltdown ensues. Figures.

D.C. can sometimes do other sexuality quite well in it's characters when it tries. John Constantine in the current "Arrowverse" shows for example is Bi-Sexual. Except for one very short monologue in a recent episode where John was feeling entirely powerless and helpless - and his sexuality got mentioned briefly in that monologue - his bisexuality was barely mentioned explicitly. Rather in some episodes he was shown getting it on with some women. And in another episode he was deeply in love with a man. And the characters or the script do raise a single eyebrow to this. And for me that is often the best way to see such a character done. (for me).

When they start writing dialogue and scripts for an entire episode - to show that the character is "alternative" it just gets trite, boring and sickening (for me - I can not talk about anyone else). The character "Dreamer" in the "arrowverse" version of Supergirl for example is Transgender Female. In fact I managed to watch quite a few episodes without even noticing this woman was not born a woman. But then some scripts hit pushing the woke message about that character and it just ruined it (for me - I can not talk about anyone else). In fact the script contived to make it quite clear D.C. have nailed their colors to the mast that they believe someone presenting or identifying as female - actually is entirely female.

I quite like such alternative characters in these shows. I prefer it in fact. But I struggle with it when the script contrives to treat the audience like imbeciles and say "Look! Look at us! We are so woke! Did you notice? Notice it please! PLEASE!".

Out of the entire arrowverse Supergirl suffers from it the most. I think Arrow itself - where arrowverse started - suffered from it the least. Batwoman was not at all as bad as I suspected it was going to be - but also had it's moments.

Kent's kids both pursuing currently hot girlfriends in Arrowverse. I wonder will they modify the scripts coming up to tie in with the comics now that the kid is coming out Bi there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone hear the Dave Fanning show yesterday on 2Fm ?

Had this Irish guy on from Australia who fancied himself as the Noam Chomsky of comic books

Suffice to say he was over the moon about how amazing it is that Superman now likes the fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It depends. I don't think there's anything wrong with using things like a characters sexuality or gender identity within stories as a way to show the extra prejudices, hardships or difficulties they face because of that, or indeed how they face that and become stronger because of it. It reflects what people really go through in the world, helps to humanise the characters and also just creates stories for the writers who have to fill 20+ episodes a year with character development.

Sure, it can be overdone, but we're not at a place where a characters sexual or gender identity are completely irrelevant and not worth paying attention to, as evident by a hell of a lot of posts in this thread alone.

Don't be obtuse, the " LGBTQ" thing is in our face 24- 7 nowadays.

Suspect ordinary gay people are sick to the back teeth of how politicised the whole thing is

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

How is it in your face 24/7? What exactly is it that is being put in your face?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, he did clarify it was Superman’s son and not the “original” Superman.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Did the "LGBT " ( LGBTQ since around March of this year) slogan exist ten years ago?

You can barely listen to a current affairs show without some reference to it.

Apparently all gay people are represented by its spokespersons ? , like a bunch of loyal maoists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I really want to see lesbian supergirl get jiggy with lesbian bat girl.

Lol.

Can we please stop heterosexuality in my face every day then. We could ban all straight couples kissing and holding hands. We could ban all media reports on straight weddings. Better still. Ban straight weddings. 😆🤣

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If you, actively, seek out LGBTQI+, and WOKE (all caps), material online throughout the day, to feed your obsession, it will be in your face 24/7.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yeah ,you have to seek it out with a fine tooth comb

• Advertisement

Literally any thread I see on here about LGBTQ issues is started by someone complaining about it being in there face or shoved down their throat. The same people who complain about "the left being so easily offended".

As for "agendas", let's not pretend there isn't a heteronormative agenda you'd prefer.

There are some countries where being gay is illegal and you're complaining about this ****.

How many of those do you encounter on a day to day basis?

Jesus wept

" hetronormative"

another WOKE speak piece of jargon .

I've said it before, any parents who can afford it should send their kids to private school with the kind of mind poison being inserted into the public education curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its only ever "constantly shoved in the faces" of those who just keep seeking it out in order to post it here to get offended about woke.

Its always the same 4 or 5 posters (sometimes a brand new account appears) that pile in to whinge about it being prominent.

While they keep it prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In there mind there the Social Justice Warriors keeping you informed and fighting for you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No , but rather than laser beams , he can be 'overcome' by adversaries with a knowing look and a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Okay I have not taken much of alook in comics for a while now. So 2 Question, 1 Just to clarify this is Superman's son we are talking about? 2 How much is in the comic just passing, a few panels, a full story, a comic arc

Edit. None which matter to me as it seems a mountain made out of a molehill

• Advertisement

Yes, it's Superman's son. He's currently acting as Superman on Earth from what I'm aware (as Clark Kent is mostly dealing with trouble on other planets or something) so in a way, he is "Superman", but the character of Jon Kent was only created in about 2015, and he's Clark and Lois' son. So it's not Clark or a character who has been around for 80 years suddenly coming out as bisexual, it's a fairly young, new character.

As for how much of the comic is devoted to it, I'm not sure it's even started in the comics yet, but was rather just announced that it will be happening. Supposedly he'll be beginning a relationship with a young male journalist, echoing the Clark/Lois relationship.

Advertisement