Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen cabinet cover

• 12-10-2021 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi! My apartment has a cover on kitchen cabinets that's a bit odd. It's non stick (I know because it broke in one of the doors and is not glued, see picture). Interestingly, it follows the door's grooves.

I'm looking to replace the cover with another colour. Does anyone know what would be the best way to do this? Is this a DIY kind of job?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

It usually a heat sealed/skrink wrapped laminate that goes over the doors, its factory done and actually usually does involve some sort of glue but over time, when moisture gets in, it breaks down the glue and the laminate fails and then peels away from the MDF underneath!

I've never seen an DIY fix to it, (not saying there isnt one!) just replacing the doors - but you can pull off the whole laminate either if its failed and paint the MDF underneath it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alexbrown20

Actually, it's not a DIY job. You can either fix the cabinet cover with glue or you can change it. I would prefer a glass cabinet for kitchens. If you have a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jo40

its a pvc foil wrap that is fitted at a very high temperature which in turn shrinks when cooled , normally doors positioned close to heat ie oven door kettle or above a toaster will certainly peel and crack like in your photo, there is no repairing it DIY or otherwise.

these doors a available at most large DIY stores quite cheap and a lot less bother than painting

Advertisement