Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi, I am fitting new PIR sensors and replacing 20 year PIR

Options
  • 12-10-2021 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Electrian told me he couldn't do it as wiring is old. Need sensor with room for wires from wall. Or that is best interpretation I can give. He didn't know where i could get one

Anyone know?

Answers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Apologies maybe I have misread your post. This is my interpretation:

So essentially a qualified electrician has expressed concern about the wiring currently in place and on that basis advises against modifying it? But you have have decided to disregard that advice and take it on yourself?

My suggestion would be to get a professional to replace the old wiring with new and add the PIR while they are at it. Replacing a PIR and adding more is quite straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

Hi, thanks for answering. Not at all in regards to ignoring. I had a PIR sensor bought and he tried to attach but said it would not work as they are very different to old PIR.

As a solution is was saying to have a small box where PIR sensor would be and then sensor next to box or new sensor with enough room for wires. My interpretation was something about no room for wires on new PIR but coiuld be wrong I have no idea about these things

I asked him which PIR sensor should I buy and he said no idea so I said I would ask here before attempting to buy new one

In total there are 6 wires coming out of wall. The light is around the corner so all 6 wires are for sensor.

There is brown and blue coming from one wire/sleeve and then brown, blue, green and yellow coming from another wire/sleeve.

So alot going on for a sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sounds like a low voltage PIR or PIR for an alarm.

Can you post a picture

High enough on wall so this best I could get

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I would guess that the 6 wires are:

Live in, neutral in, earth in and then then live out, neutral out and earth out. A few simple tests would verify this. Easy peasy…

Most wall mounted PIRs with the correct rating would be suitable. This is pretty basic stuff for an electrician to ask.

• Advertisement

Yes I guess his problem was too many wires for current PIR sensor so could not fit to wall so i needed specific one

Thought it might be common problem but i guess not

Advertisement