Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New season WDYTYA

• 12-10-2021 10:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Started tonight with Josh Widdicome.

A good solid episode - 12 minutes in they'd skipped to 10 generations back. It continued from there.

Some serious gateway ancestry.

They did not confirm whether he was related to Ann Widdicome. I feel hard done by.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I hope for his sake he isn't!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Friend saying on Twitter that it's not actually family history when you get into these kind of famous nobles - just plain history!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Prior to the series returning, it said that he made surprising discovery. I joked that it was probably that he was related to Ann

Josh's Episode was much along the same lines as Matthew Pinsent's Catherine Howard

I recently watched a series on the Boleyns. At the end of the final episode it claimed that present Queen is a descendant of Mary Boleyn.

And reminiscent of Danny Dyer's as well, though his was more entertaining. They should have done the homework and said Josh was 15th cousins x removed from both Danny and Matthew for the laugh.

Yes, I believe QEII is descended from Mary Boleyn on her mother's side.

But of course, a lot of people would have those ancestors. The proving it is the remarkable thing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Its a long time since I enjoyed an episode of WDYTYA as much as this. However, they just love to find Royal bloodlines and they stuck with that. There might have been some other interesting stories but not enough time to cover them and the royals. I don't think Josh Widdicome is related to Ann Widdicome though, it would have been included I'm sure. This one reminds me of the Boris Johnson one, though I'm not sure if it was WDYTYA, when they rolled out the final family tree they went all the way up to God! Hilarious and terrifying at the same time!

• Advertisement

They've rolled out that College of Arms scroll for a few people over the years. It took me a while before I realised it's the same one each time!

Someone was saying on Twitter that a Sabine Baring-Gould wrote Onward Christian Soldiers. She is surely related to Josh but they didn't mention it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Only entertaining trees qualify.

As my old primary school teacher used say, " God between us and small farmers"

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

Christopher Eccleston was right when he said that generations of working class people were dismissed. Seems a terrible shame. Not everyone is thrilled to find royal blood, remember Danny Dyer was pretty shocked that he didn't come from medieval Arfur Dalys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

I enjoyed Judie Dench's episode. Especially how she uncovered so many links to Shakespeare.

I won't lie, I was jealous when she managed to get so far with her Irish (albeit landed gentry) line! What I wouldn't do to find one of those scrolls for anyone in my tree!

Judi Dench's was fascinating. Great entertainment to see her so flabbergasted! Due to time constraints I suppose, they had to skip and lot of levels to get to the big story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement