Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No phone signal

Options
  • 13-10-2021 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi. I am building a new house. As soon as the doors and windows went in, I have no reception on my phone for calling .. is there anything I can do to improve this going forward ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Does your provider offer Wi-Fi calling? That might be the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It is an unfortunate side effect of high efficiency insulation and glass treatments that mobile phone and other types of radio reception are victim to blocking

WiFi calling is an option, and is as suggested perhaps the easiest one to implement.

Others are devices like suresignal (no longer available direct afaik) or a repeater with an externally mounted antenna.

The combo of metal treated glass, PIR boards, bonded bead metallic insulation, and other high efficiency insulation products have a tendency to turn anything above a B2 Ber home into a Faraday cage when doors and windows are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Use WiFi calling. This allows you to build your own mobile coverage indoors. It needs good seamless WiFi throughout the house, so make sure to include Cat 6 Ethernet cabling in your house from different rooms back to your hub, to allow you to install several WiFi Access Points. Use Access points that operate in tandem with your ISP router (eg Eir Smart WiFi Hubs), Ubiquiti Unifi (powered over Ethernet), or a Mesh system such as TP-link Deco.

Eir are the only operator in Ireland that fully support WiFi calling, including voice, text and use while Roaming. Vodafone support voice only, no text or roaming. If your existing handsets are Android, they may need to be flashed with new firmware to support WiFi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If WiFi calling isn't an option a mobile signal repeater is a good alternative.

Two of my brothers use them and they work brilliantly.

Stelladoradus in Waterford are an Irish manufacturer of these units.

Novatel in Cork sell these and also install if required - https://www.novatel.ie/mobile-phone-signal-boosters

Avoid cheap Asian imports, they are illegal to use, cause network issues, and will let you down eventually. One of my brothers recently replaced one with a Stelladoradus unit, the other brother used and replaced many of them over the years eventually replacing them with a Stelladoradus unit a few years ago, no issues since.

https://www.comreg.ie/advice-information/service-issues/mobile-phone-repeaters/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you have cabling to each room, all the cables should come back to a central location or hub. This is where you should try to get your broadband connection terminated and where your ISP router will be. If you have more than 4 cables to connect to your router, you will also need to add an Ethernet switch. To keep all the cables neat you should also install a cable termination frame. You may also want to install a small UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to keep all the essential items going in the case of a power cut.

Advertisement