Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Leave during notice period

Options
  • 13-10-2021 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4 work2021

Hi, is it possible to go out on sick leave after handing in your notice?

I've just handed in my notice for a job that is destroying my mental health and can't see how I'll cope one more month. Is it an option to get a note for sick leave caused by stress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes. You have your usual entitlements regarding sick leave while you work out your notice.

Yes of course.

You could also just never go back. There is nothing your employer can do about it.

Or you could keep going in and just not give a damn about anything between now and your last day and get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

I don't see why not. But don't expect a glowing reference from your employer in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Talk to the employer and tell them. They might agree to call it quits now. Unless you're getting sick pay

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's not in their best interests to have someone who is sick and really does not want to be there in the office environment. As already suggested, I'd talk to them and see if you can come to some arrangement like gardening leave for the duration of your notice period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As others have said I don't know why you would bother jumping through hoops for sick leave, just go if you want to go. Its a notice period, not a binding slavery, there is effectively nothing they can do about it if you just didn't show up any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

If the employee leaves prior to the end of the notice period, they don't get paid for the remainder of their notice period. If their employer provides paid sick leave, then they'd be paid (and if it's their employer telling them to stop coming in during their notice period, they'd have to be paid their full pay for the remainder regardless of any sick leave policies...).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 work2021

Thanks everyone for the advice.

My manager reluctantly agreed to reduce the required notice period to 1.5 weeks instead of the 4 originally requested, so I won't need to go on sick leave.

Just a follow up question, I usually use former managers as references however I'd rather not use this one. I had explained how stressed I was at the beginning of this year due to the workload and was told "Yes I've had that complaint from others previously but I think the workload is actually quite manageable". Is it strange to use a former colleague as a reference rather than a manager?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

References are requested from your employer and most companies have some kind of procedure as to who and how references are dealt with. Unless your colleague is entitled to give a reference on behalf of your employer all they could give is a personal reference. Giving a reference on behalf of one's employer when you don't have the authority to do could have consequences for the person giving it, so I would not expect them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Really? That's odd. I used supervisors and colleges myself before and never had an issue. My logic is that my supervisor/colleague have worked with me. So they know me better in terms of an employee as opposed to my boss who I rarely even see. My boss never visits my work site though and I have probably seen him twice in three years and he only said "hello" to me both times.

I am aware that normally public sector request a reference from your current employment. Not sure if the OP is in the public sector or not, although I thought I'd mention it.

• Advertisement

Public service are very strict about references and can only be issued by head of department. They tend to be in informative and neutral and merely say perfunctory stuff like “gave satisfactory service”. As a line manager had I given a reference to somebody unsupervised I would have chances to get myself in serious hot water if it were discovered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are free to give the name of any person willing to give you a reference, provided it is acceptable to the person requesting it. However if the person giving the reference, gives it on behalf of your employer and they are not authorised to do so, they may find that their employer takes issue with that. I would advise people giving the reference to be very careful in how the represent themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Apologies, just to clarify that I am working in the private sector. Not public.

My last point is based on the application forum for the public service recruitment process. I get your point though!

Advertisement