Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N64/Megadrive Switch Online Expansion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

At this point, if you are a Megadrive lover and want to play them all on the Switch, you are going to be compelled to not only sub up to this new service, but also get the aforementioned Sega Collection and the piecemeal releases of other MD titles, like GreyLancer/GleyLancer which is out soon and a separate bought title from the eShop, that drives me mad, but I'll still buy it.

To be honest, there is a lot to be said about just modding a Megadrive Mini and loading everything you can imagine on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,071 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm looking forward to the N64 controller, the MD one I can leave, might get the 8bitdo one for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really struggling to think of any N64 games I'd want to play today. All the best ones - the two Zeldas and Starfox are on the 3DS and much, much better there. Paper Mario still holds up but outside of that, I really can't think of too many. Is Ogre Battle 64 any good? One of those that could tempt me to at least try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You can get the proper 6 button MD controller from Nintendo in Japan.

I imagine it'll appear on Amazon.co.jp once it's out

Probably cost a fortune to deliver to Ireland though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The versions on the 3DS might be better, but the cost of the NSO Expansion is very likely to be less than the cost of a 3DS and those games ;)

It will be interesting to see what rate they add games to the N64 option, and whether any other Sega platforms join it beyond the Mega Drive...

I have to say, having bought a few bits from Amazon in Japan, the shipping isn't too bad, and it's pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd rather buy the games I want here for eg 5 quid rather than rent them.

I have Mario 64 on Switch and OOT/MM for my 2DS XL.

I remember 1080 Snowboarding was great, even on a PAL N64.

But not that pushed for N64.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No Rare games no party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can I get an "ouch" from the congregation? That's a huge f**king jump.

Launches October 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I ain't even remotely tempted to pay €20 for Online anymore. Adding another €30 quid for N64 & Genesis games is more than a bit steep. Yeah Animals Crossing DLC too but a lot of people stopped playing that game around Easter last year.

There could be an option without the AC DLC. Just have to wait and see I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Unless your getting the family upgrade it's not mad money. Alot would get the animal crossing dlc anyway so the rest is basically free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Saying that an option without the animal crossing update for a tenner would be better

Breakdown in video above.

You can upgrade your current plan at a pro-rated discount.

OK having watched the AC DLC thread (and the 2.0 update video), I've changed my mind. You're getting a massive amount of new AC content so that makes it good value.

Yikes, looks like I'm going back to AC again. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So it's €40 here. Is that on top of the the €20 online pass or is it all just there for €40?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Doing some basic maths:

Standard US 12 month NSO sub is USD$19.99.

AC DLC is USD$24.99.

US 12 month NSO + Expansion sub is USD$49.99.

Optimistic/"no chance" version = Expansion sub without AC DLC is USD$5 more expensive than standard.

Pessimistic version = the USD$49.99 version including the AC DLC is the only one offered.

Hopefully we land somewhere in the middle.

Can't be bothered.

Xbox game pass ultimate with latest first party games and loads of other stuff + cloud streaming + seamless cloud saves + + + ... ..for 120 quid for 3 years

And this messing for emulated old games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Just on the N64 controller - how do I order that if Nintendo UK doesn’t ship to Ireland? I have the SNES & NES controllers but I have no recollection of how I ordered those & had them delivered here (I know wasn’t parcel motel but that’s it)

€40 is bit steep for expansion, but the AC DLC I think it’s worth it for the next 12 months. We’ll see after that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not impressed with that at all. If it were any expansion pack of choice, once a year or something, yeah, I could see that being worth it but AC only? I lost interest in that fairly quickly and I was in lockdown!!!

That is a bit steep, even for me.

I'll have to wait to see what else appears in the line-up for each console but, right now, nope... I won't be spending that sort of money for so little return.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So there's no option for getting it without the DLC? For those of us who don't own Animal Crossing.

I've seen ones suggesting all future Nintendo DLC will be included, though I'd say it will only be select DLC, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Argos currently has Tetris 99 for €24 CeX buys the game minus the 12 month sub for €14

Wonder is it worth buying 2 or 3 and stacking the subs if there is a discount based on days remaining in your sub and with these working out at €10 per year

I got it from the German Nintendo store, €56.98 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I’m thinking €40 will be the standard price for the online expansion in future years, they just added the AC DLC as a bit of a bonus this year for anyone into AC. Anyone who wants both that is. €40 for the expansion & €25 for the DLC would have been a lot to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At least we seem to be getting it for less than the US.

N64 controller is showing as sold out on the UK site so may look at the German site as well. Seems to be available there. If not getting it for the NSO, maybe for the PC. :)

Nintendo life saying the pricing will be effectively double

Single account €40/year (+€20 on current)

Family account €70/year (+€35 on current)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I have the family membership and even though my son liked the idea of the N64 games, it's a no from me. No one really plays AC in our house any more (and it was only ever really my daughter who played it anyway)

So, in summary, Nintendo can jog on with those prices.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement