Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Event October 18th

• 13-10-2021 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any interest in the new Macs being unveiled next Monday? I've had the late 2016 13" since launch nearly 5 years ago. On paper it's extremely dated by now (I upgraded the processor to the i7 when I bought it but it's still only a dual core gen 6), but actually still works fine for what I use it for. I even use it as a dev machine and it handles everything reasonably well. I was initially thinking of keeping it another two years when I expect macOS upgrade support to end for it but given this is a complete refresh of the 13" model up to 14" with the touchbar thankfully gone then I could be tempted, depends on price really.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'll be upgrading as my current 15" 2014 mbp will not support the next OS release and i've been holding off for the last 2 years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm in the market for a Mac Mini, so waiting to see if something new on that front comes to pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Won't happen today but I wish they'd update the MBA. My 12-inch MB is really starting to show its age. The M1 Air is great but I really want the redesign. If the 14-inch MBP is the same price as the 13-inch MBP I might be tempted. Or if the design is ghastly I might bite the bullet on the M1 Air.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Notch rumours were true!

Surprisingly thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Looks visibly chunkier than its predecessor and I hate that notch, the bezels although smaller are bigger than I thought they'd be too. Happy to continue with that I have for another year at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Starting at €2,249.00 for the 14” / €2,749 for the 16”

The 14” is actually slightly thinner overall compared to the 13” when the lid is closed, due to the display being thinner but the main body is thicker alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

When do they go on sale?

Edit, sorry I see them. Prices seem a bit outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭drogon.

Honestly the Ports should have not been removed from the Pro machines in the first place. Certainly will look a bit chunkier, the HDMI port itself is pretty big. But I think it is the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

That’s some beast of a machine in fairness. Watching that event I just kept thinking of how expensive it would be.

I though maybe €1500-€1750 but even that price was over my estimates.

Seems like Apple just throwing everything at this one, although with the notch I would have assumed FaceID would replace the fingerprint sensor in the power button. But nope, it’s the only thing I can really say Apple missed its mark on. Everything else is looks amazing (other than the price :D)

• Advertisement

Yeah you’re still talking €1679 for the M1 13” Pro with 512GB of storage so that was never going to happen unfortunately.

Its almost like they purposefully made macbook pros shitter over the years so they could fix it all and slap 600euros onto the price.

In order to integrate the notch into the UI they seem to have made the menu bar noticeably thicker, which looks weird. It's hard to tell as the marketing images mostly avoid showing the menu bar, even totally blacking it out many images, presumedly for apps in full screen, or trying to blend it into the desktop.

The prices are almost the same as the previous models though.

The previous 13" in that category (mid range 13", not the entry level models) started at €2,229.00 and the new 14" starts at €2,249.00

The previous 16" started at €2,799.00 and is now starting at €2,749.00.

Ah that's just my ignorance then. I didn't realise their was that two levels in the pros previously.

Maybe I can allow myself to grab one so :)

Well I got a Mac book pro this year. M1. Why need to replace that in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Elessar

These new machines are complete beasts is right. Quite the upgrade. They are THICC though, remind me of the first MacBook Pros back in 2007 and the Powerbooks before them.

The new processors are insane, the PC laptops they compared them to were the Razer 15 inch and an MSI gaming laptop with a nVidia 3080 GPU. Really want to see those benchmarks!

Can't quite justify an upgrade from my 16" 2019 model, they are heavier too. My only gripe is they weight even more. Travelling with that thing is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Could really have done with a Mac Mini. Shame no update there for the higher end model.

Just watched some of the event highlights. It's gas watching them talk about "no need for dongles" and showing off the function row.

It's such a weird release for apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

People celebrating them bringing back the ports, except they didn't bother putting at least one old style USB port on it (even though there's plenty of space for one) which would have been far more useful for the average non video/photo editing user than the SD card slot.

I might be interested in what they do with the Air next year (please no notch). M1 was already a good enough upgrade on what I have and the graphical power of these new chips would be wasted on me. I'd just need M2 or whatever they decide to call it to be able to run dual 4K monitors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement